Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
Dr. Buckland is an Attending Physician at Duke University Hospital Emergency Department. He is also the Director of the Duke Acute Care Technology Lab (DACTL) where he leads research in developing technology for the diagnosis and treatment of acute disease in data science and robotics projects. Dr Buckland oversees several PhD, Masters, and Undergraduate engineer researchers as their primary advisor, as well as manages collaborative research projects between clinicians and engineering students. His work at DACTL also involves studying how advancements in technology affect the healthcare system. In addition, Dr. Buckland is the Deputy Chair of the Human System Risk Board of the Office of the Chief Health and Medical Officer via an Intergovernmental Personnel Act agreement with NASA, where he determines the human system risk of spaceflight and how standards, countermeasures, and mission design can mitigate risk.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
- Office Location: 2301 Erwin Road, DUMC Box 3096, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 660-6553
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- M.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2006
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2011
- M.D. Harvard Medical School, 2014
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
In the News
- Algorithm Improves Accuracy of Scheduling Surgeries (Jun 27, 2023 | Duke Health…
- Algorithm Improves Accuracy of Scheduling Surgeries (Jun 26, 2023 | Duke Health)
- Let’s Talk About All Things Space Duke Space Initiative (Apr 1, 2022 | DukEngin…
- Space: The Next Frontier for Health Care (Aug 12, 2021 | School of Medicine Mag…
- Pratt Robot May Blast Off With Astronauts to Assist With Health Care (Jun 29, 2…
- Cox, Daniel, Jinny J. Ye, Chixiang Zhang, Lee Van Vleet, João R. Nickenig Vissoci, and Daniel M. Buckland. “Optimizing a Drone Network to Respond to Opioid Overdoses.” Western Journal of Emergency Medicine 24, no. 5 (September 13, 2023). https://doi.org/10.5811/westjem.59609.
- Antonsen, Erik L., Erin Connell, Wilma Anton, Robert J. Reynolds, Daniel M. Buckland, and Mary Van Baalen. “Updates to the NASA human system risk management process for space exploration.” Npj Microgravity 9, no. 1 (September 7, 2023): 72. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41526-023-00305-z.
- Li, Siqi, Yilin Ning, Marcus Eng Hock Ong, Bibhas Chakraborty, Chuan Hong, Feng Xie, Han Yuan, et al. “FedScore: A privacy-preserving framework for federated scoring system development.” J Biomed Inform 146 (September 1, 2023): 104485. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2023.104485.
- Zaribafzadeh, Hamed, Wendy L. Webster, Christopher J. Vail, Thomas Daigle, Allan D. Kirk, Peter J. Allen, Ricardo Henao, and Daniel M. Buckland. “Development, Deployment, and Implementation of a Machine Learning Surgical Case Length Prediction Model and Prospective Evaluation.” Ann Surg, June 2, 2023. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000005936.
- Rigby Oca, S., A. Strong, J. Havas, D. M. Buckland, and L. J. Bridgeman. “Development and Testing of a Durable and Novel Breast Phantom for Robotic Autonomous Ultrasound Systems.” Journal of Medical Robotics Research 7, no. 4 (December 1, 2022). https://doi.org/10.1142/S2424905X22410100.