Assistant Professor of Surgery
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Assistant Professor in the Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Location: 2301 Erwin Road, DUMC Box 3096, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 660-6553
- Email Address: email@example.com
- M.D. Harvard Medical School, 2014
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2011
- M.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2006
Medical device development, acute care technology, space medicine, remote medicine, autonomous medical devices.
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 591: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
In the News
- Space: The Next Frontier for Health Care (Aug 12, 2021 | School of Medicine Magnify)
- Pratt Robot May Blast Off With Astronauts to Assist With Health Care (Jun 29, 2020 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Antonsen, EL; Myers, JG; Boley, L; Arellano, J; Kerstman, E; Kadwa, B; Buckland, DM; Van Baalen, M, Estimating medical risk in human spaceflight., Npj Microgravity, vol 8 no. 1 (2022) [10.1038/s41526-022-00193-9] [abs].
- Fenn, A; Davis, C; Buckland, DM; Kapadia, N; Nichols, M; Gao, M; Knechtle, W; Balu, S; Sendak, M; Theiling, BJ, Development and Validation of Machine Learning Models to Predict Admission From Emergency Department to Inpatient and Intensive Care Units., Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol 78 no. 2 (2021), pp. 290-302 [10.1016/j.annemergmed.2021.02.029] [abs].
- Oca, SR; Navas, A; Leiman, E; Buckland, DM, Effect of language interpretation modality on throughput and mortality for critical care patients: A retrospective observational study., J Am Coll Emerg Physicians Open, vol 2 no. 4 (2021) [10.1002/emp2.12477] [abs].
- Garside, N; Zaribafzadeh, H; Henao, R; Chung, R; Buckland, D, CPT to RVU conversion improves model performance in the prediction of surgical case length., Scientific Reports, vol 11 no. 1 (2021) [10.1038/s41598-021-93573-2] [abs].
- Ma, G; Oca, SR; Zhu, Y; Codd, PJ; Buckland, DM, A Novel Robotic System for Ultrasound-guided Peripheral Vascular Localization, Proceedings Ieee International Conference on Robotics and Automation, vol 2021-May (2021), pp. 12321-12327 [10.1109/ICRA48506.2021.9561924] [abs].