Anderson-Rupp Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Wilkins Aquino obtained a BSCE from Purdue University, and a MS and PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Before joining the Duke Faculty, he was an associate professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Cornell University. He was also a member of the fields of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics and Applied Mathematics at Cornell.
Prof. Aquino has broad interests in computational mechanics, including finite element methods, computational inverse problems, uncertainty quantification, coupled chemo-mechanics, and computational acoustics, among others.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Anderson-Rupp Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor in Head & Neck Surgery & Communication Sciences
- Professor of Mathematics
- Office Location: 309 Gross Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 684-1922
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2002
Computational mechanics, finite element methods, computational inverse problems and their applications in engineering and biomedicine, scientific computing, computational acoustics and acoustics-structure interaction, coupled chemo-mechanics (e.g., electrochemistry-mechanics).
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2012
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2007
- CEE 630: Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis
- ME 490: Special Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 491: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 525: Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- Hobbs, KT; Choe, N; Aksenov, LI; Reyes, L; Aquino, W; Routh, JC; Hokanson, JA, Machine Learning for Urodynamic Detection of Detrusor Overactivity., Urology, vol 159 (2022), pp. 247-254 [10.1016/j.urology.2021.09.027] [abs].
- Sanders, C; Bonnet, M; Aquino, W, An adaptive eigenfunction basis strategy to reduce design dimension in topology optimization, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol 122 no. 24 (2021), pp. 7452-7481 [10.1002/nme.6837] [abs].
- Hugenberg, NR; Roy, T; Harrigan, H; Capriotti, M; Lee, H-K; Guddati, M; Greenleaf, JF; Urban, MW; Aquino, W, Toward improved accuracy in shear wave elastography of arteries through controlling the arterial response to ultrasound perturbation in-silico and in phantoms., Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol 66 no. 23 (2021) [10.1088/1361-6560/ac38fe] [abs].
- Khodayi-Mehr, R; Urban, MW; Zavlanos, MM; Aquino, W, Plane wave elastography: a frequency-domain ultrasound shear wave elastography approach., Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol 66 no. 12 (2021) [10.1088/1361-6560/ac01b8] [abs].
- Bunting, G; Miller, ST; Walsh, TF; Dohrmann, CR; Aquino, W, Novel strategies for modal-based structural material identification, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol 149 (2021) [10.1016/j.ymssp.2020.107295] [abs].