Anderson-Rupp Professor Of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Wilkins Aquino obtained a BSCE from Purdue University, and a MS and PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Before joining the Duke Faculty, he was an associate professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Cornell University. He was also a member of the fields of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics and Applied Mathematics at Cornell.
Prof. Aquino has broad interests in computational mechanics, including finite element methods, computational inverse problems, uncertainty quantification, coupled chemo-mechanics, and computational acoustics, among others.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Anderson-Rupp Professor Of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Office Location: 309 Gross Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 684-1922
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Illinois -- Urbana-Champaign, 2002
Computational mechanics, finite element methods, computational inverse problems and their applications in engineering and biomedicine, scientific computing, computational acoustics and acoustics-structure interaction, coupled chemo-mechanics (e.g., electrochemistry-mechanics).
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2012
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2007
- CEE 530: Introduction to the Finite Element Method
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 702: Graduate Colloquium
- CEE 780: Internship
- ECE 494: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 524: Introduction to the Finite Element Method
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 758S: Curricular Practical Training
- ME 759: Special Readings in Mechanical Engineering
- Zou, Z; Kouri, D; Aquino, W, An adaptive local reduced basis method for solving PDEs with uncertain inputs and evaluating risk, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol 345 (2019), pp. 302-322 [10.1016/j.cma.2018.10.028] [abs].
- Aquino, W; Bunting, G; Miller, ST; Walsh, TF, A gradient-based optimization approach for the detection of partially connected surfaces using vibration tests, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol 345 (2019), pp. 323-335 [10.1016/j.cma.2018.11.002] [abs].
- Khodayi-Mehr, R; Aquino, W; Zavlanos, MM, Distributed Reduced Order Source Identification, Proceedings of the American Control Conference, vol 2018-June (2018), pp. 1084-1089 [10.23919/ACC.2018.8430979] [abs].
- Calkins, L; Khodayi-Mehr, R; Aquino, W; Zavlanos, M, Stochastic model-based source identification, 2017 Ieee 56th Annual Conference on Decision and Control, Cdc 2017, vol 2018-January (2018), pp. 1272-1277 [10.1109/CDC.2017.8263831] [abs].
- Aquino, W; Kouri, DP; Zou, Z, A Locally Adapted Reduced Basis Method for Solving Risk-Averse PDE-Constrained Optimization Problems, 2018 Aiaa Non Deterministic Approaches Conference (2018) [10.2514/6.2018-2174] [abs].