Professor in the Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Wilkins Aquino obtained a BSCE from Purdue University, and a MS and PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Before joining the Duke Faculty, he was an associate professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Cornell University. He was also a member of the fields of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics and Applied Mathematics at Cornell. Prof. Aquino has broad interests in computational mechanics, including finite element methods, computational inverse problems, uncertainty quantification, coupled chemo-mechanics, and computational acoustics, among others.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor in Head & Neck Surgery & Communication Sciences
- Professor of Mathematics
- Office Location: 309 Gross Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 684-1922
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2002
Research InterestsComputational mechanics, finite element methods, computational inverse problems and their applications in engineering and biomedicine, scientific computing, computational acoustics and acoustics-structure interaction, coupled chemo-mechanics (e.g., electrochemistry-mechanics).
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2012
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2007
- ME 490: Special Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- Chen, M. J., K. Sivakumar, G. A. Banyay, B. M. Golchert, T. F. Walsh, M. M. Zavlanos, and W. Aquino. “Bayesian Optimal Sensor Placement for Damage Detection in Frequency-Domain Dynamics.” Journal of Engineering Mechanics 148, no. 12 (December 1, 2022). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0002162.
- Zou, Z., D. P. Kouri, and W. Aquino. “A Locally Adapted Reduced-Basis Method for Solving Risk-Averse PDE-Constrained Optimization Problems.” Siam Asa Journal on Uncertainty Quantification 10, no. 4 (December 1, 2022): 1629–51. https://doi.org/10.1137/21M1411342.
- Treweek, B. C., C. M. Sanders, W. Aquino, and T. F. Walsh. “Optimization of Acoustic Channels to Minimize Scattered Pressure Fields.” Journal of Theoretical and Computational Acoustics 30, no. 3 (September 1, 2022). https://doi.org/10.1142/S2591728522400072.
- Capriotti, Margherita, Tuhin Roy, Nicholas R. Hugenberg, Hadiya Harrigan, Hon-Chi Lee, Wilkins Aquino, Murthy Guddati, James F. Greenleaf, and Matthew W. Urban. “The influence of acoustic radiation force beam shape and location on wave spectral content for arterial dispersion ultrasound vibrometry.” Physics in Medicine and Biology 67, no. 13 (June 2022). https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6560/ac75a7.
- Hobbs, Kevin T., Nathaniel Choe, Leonid I. Aksenov, Lourdes Reyes, Wilkins Aquino, Jonathan C. Routh, and James A. Hokanson. “Machine Learning for Urodynamic Detection of Detrusor Overactivity.” Urology 159 (January 2022): 247–54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2021.09.027.