William Bevan Distinguished Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Tony Jun Huang received his Ph.D. degree in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) in 2005. His research interests are in the fields of acoustofluidics, optofluidics, and micro/nano systems for biomedical diagnostics and therapeutics. He has authored/co-authored over 290 peer-reviewed journal publications in these fields. His journal articles have been cited more than 29,000 times, as documented at Google Scholar (h-index: 91).He also has 30 issued or pending US/international patents.
Prof. Huang was elected a fellow (member) of the National Academy of Inventors (USA) and the European Academy of Sciences and Arts. He was also a fellow of the following six professional societies: the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), the Institute of Physics (UK), and the Royal Society of Chemistry (UK).
Huang's research has gained international recognition through numerous prestigious awards and honors including a 2010 National Institutes of Health (NIH) Director's New Innovator Award, a 2011 JALA Top Ten Breakthroughs of the Year Award, a 2012 Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award from the Society for Manufacturing Engineering, a 2013 Faculty Scholar Medal from The Pennsylvania State University, a 2013 American Asthma Foundation (AAF) Scholar Award, the 2014 IEEE Sensors Council Technical Achievement Award from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), the 2017 Analytical Chemistry Young Innovator Award from the American Chemical Society (ACS), the 2019 Van C. Mow Medal from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), and the 2019 Technical Achievement Award from the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS).
Appointments and Affiliations
- William Bevan Distinguished Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 330B LSRC, Box 90300, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 684-5728
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of California - Los Angeles, 2005
Research InterestsAcoustofluidics, microfluidics, lab-on-a-chip, biomedical micro-electro-mechanical systems (BioMEMS), optofluidics, plasmofluidics.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow (NAI). National Academy of Inventors. 2020
- ME 535: Biomedical Microsystems
- ME 591: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
In the News
- Biologic Used by Athletes Could Also Ease Nerve Pain from Chemo, Diabetes (May …
- Sound-Induced Electric Fields Control the Tiniest Particles (Jun 23, 2021)
- Sound Waves Spin Droplets to Concentrate, Separate Nanoparticles (Jan 5, 2021 |…
- Huang Elected to the National Academy of Inventors (Dec 8, 2020)
- Sound Waves Replace Human Hands in Petri Dish Experiments (Sep 11, 2020 | Pratt…
- Seven From Duke Named Fellows of American Association for the Advancement of Sc…
- Sound Waves Could Provide 'Liquid Biopsies' of Tumors (Jul 3, 2018 | Pratt Scho…
- Sound Waves Separate Biological Nanoparticles for 'Liquid Biopsies' (Sep 19, 20…
- Huang Wins Analytical Chemistry 2017 Young Innovator Award (Jul 24, 2017)
- Sound Waves Create Whirlpools to Round Up Tiny Signs of Disease (Jan 26, 2017)
- Tony Jun Huang: Developing Lab-on-a-Chip Technologies to Improve Health Care (N…
- Tian, Zhenhua, Shujie Yang, Po-Hsun Huang, Zeyu Wang, Peiran Zhang, Yuyang Gu, Hunter Bachman, et al. “Wave number-spiral acoustic tweezers for dynamic and reconfigurable manipulation of particles and cells.” Science Advances 5, no. 5 (May 2019): eaau6062. https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.aau6062.
- Ozcelik, Adem, Joseph Rufo, Feng Guo, Yuyang Gu, Peng Li, James Lata, and Tony Jun Huang. “Acoustic tweezers for the life sciences.” Nature Methods 15, no. 12 (December 2018): 1021–28. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41592-018-0222-9.
- Zhang, Steven Peiran, James Lata, Chuyi Chen, John Mai, Feng Guo, Zhenhua Tian, Liqiang Ren, et al. “Digital acoustofluidics enables contactless and programmable liquid handling.” Nature Communications 9, no. 1 (July 2018): 2928. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-018-05297-z.
- Wu, Mengxi, Yingshi Ouyang, Zeyu Wang, Rui Zhang, Po-Hsun Huang, Chuyi Chen, Hui Li, et al. “Isolation of exosomes from whole blood by integrating acoustics and microfluidics.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 114, no. 40 (October 2017): 10584–89. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1709210114.
- Chen, Yuchao, Mengxi Wu, Liqiang Ren, Jiayang Liu, Pamela H. Whitley, Lin Wang, and Tony Jun Huang. “High-throughput acoustic separation of platelets from whole blood.” Lab on a Chip 16, no. 18 (September 2016): 3466–72. https://doi.org/10.1039/c6lc00682e.
- Ahmed, Daniel, Adem Ozcelik, Nagagireesh Bojanala, Nitesh Nama, Awani Upadhyay, Yuchao Chen, Wendy Hanna-Rose, and Tony Jun Huang. “Rotational manipulation of single cells and organisms using acoustic waves.” Nature Communications 7, no. 1 (March 23, 2016). https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms11085.
- Guo, Feng, Zhangming Mao, Yuchao Chen, Zhiwei Xie, James P. Lata, Peng Li, Liqiang Ren, et al. “Three-dimensional manipulation of single cells using surface acoustic waves.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 113, no. 6 (February 9, 2016): 1522–27. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1524813113.
- Li, Peng, Zhangming Mao, Zhangli Peng, Lanlan Zhou, Yuchao Chen, Po-Hsun Huang, Cristina I. Truica, et al. “Acoustic separation of circulating tumor cells.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 112, no. 16 (April 2015): 4970–75. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1504484112.
- Guo, Feng, Peng Li, Jarrod B. French, Zhangming Mao, Hong Zhao, Sixing Li, Nitesh Nama, James R. Fick, Stephen J. Benkovic, and Tony Jun Huang. “Controlling cell–cell interactions using surface acoustic waves.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112, no. 1 (January 6, 2015): 43–48. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1422068112.
- Huang, Po-Hsun, Nitesh Nama, Zhangming Mao, Peng Li, Joseph Rufo, Yuchao Chen, Yuliang Xie, Cheng-Hsin Wei, Lin Wang, and Tony Jun Huang. “A reliable and programmable acoustofluidic pump powered by oscillating sharp-edge structures.” Lab on a Chip 14, no. 22 (November 2014): 4319–23. https://doi.org/10.1039/c4lc00806e.
- Huang, Po-Hsun, Yuliang Xie, Daniel Ahmed, Joseph Rufo, Nitesh Nama, Yuchao Chen, Chung Yu Chan, and Tony Jun Huang. “An acoustofluidic micromixer based on oscillating sidewall sharp-edges.” Lab on a Chip 13, no. 19 (October 2013): 3847–52. https://doi.org/10.1039/c3lc50568e.
- Ding, Xiaoyun, Peng Li, Sz-Chin Steven Lin, Zackary S. Stratton, Nitesh Nama, Feng Guo, Daniel Slotcavage, et al. “Surface acoustic wave microfluidics.” Lab on a Chip 13, no. 18 (2013): 3626–3626. https://doi.org/10.1039/c3lc50361e.
- Ding, Xiaoyun, Sz-Chin Steven Lin, Brian Kiraly, Hongjun Yue, Sixing Li, I-Kao Chiang, Jinjie Shi, Stephen J. Benkovic, and Tony Jun Huang. “On-chip manipulation of single microparticles, cells, and organisms using surface acoustic waves.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109, no. 28 (July 10, 2012): 11105–9. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1209288109.
- Shi, Jinjie, Daniel Ahmed, Xiaole Mao, Sz-Chin Steven Lin, Aitan Lawit, and Tony Jun Huang. “Acoustic tweezers: patterning cells and microparticles using standing surface acoustic waves (SSAW).” Lab on a Chip 9, no. 20 (2009): 2890–2890. https://doi.org/10.1039/b910595f.
- Shi, Jinjie, Hua Huang, Zak Stratton, Yiping Huang, and Tony Jun Huang. “Continuous particle separation in a microfluidic channel via standing surface acoustic waves (SSAW).” Lab on a Chip 9, no. 23 (2009): 3354–3354. https://doi.org/10.1039/b915113c.
- Ahmed, Daniel, Xiaole Mao, Jinjie Shi, Bala Krishna Juluri, and Tony Jun Huang. “A millisecond micromixer via single-bubble-based acoustic streaming.” Lab on a Chip 9, no. 18 (2009): 2738–2738. https://doi.org/10.1039/b903687c.
- Shi, Jinjie, Xiaole Mao, Daniel Ahmed, Ashley Colletti, and Tony Jun Huang. “Focusing microparticles in a microfluidic channel with standing surface acoustic waves (SSAW).” Lab Chip 8, no. 2 (2008): 221–23. https://doi.org/10.1039/b716321e.