Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Nanoscale Science of Energy
- Computational materials science
- Nanotube growth characterization
- Alloy theory
- Superlubricity on quasicrystals
- Superconductivity in Metal borides
- Genetic Approaches to QM Predictions of Materials Structures
- Materials for Nuclear Detection
The research is multidisciplinary and makes use of state of the art techniques from fields like materials science, chemistry, physics, quantum mechanics, mathematics and computer science.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Physics
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 301 Hudson Hall, Box 90300, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5506
- Email Address:
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2003
- M.S. Pennsylvania State University, 1999
- M.S. University of Padua (Italy), 1995
Nanoscale science of energy, computational materials science, nanotube growth characterization, alloy theory, superlubricity on quasicrystals, superconductivity in metal borides, genetic approaches to QM predictions of materials structures, materials for nuclear detection. His multidisciplinary research that makes use of state-of-the-art techniques from fields like materials science, chemistry, physics, quantum mechanics, mathematics and computer science.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Distinguished Visiting Professorship. Max-Plank Society, Fritz-Haber Instittue, Berlin. 2018
- Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Award. Alexander von Humboldt-Foundation. 2016
- DOD-MURI Award, The Science of Entropy Stabilized Ultra-High Temperature Materials. Duke University, NCSU, UCSD, UVA. 2015
- DOD-MURI Award, Topological decompositions and spectral sampling algorithms for elements substitution in critical technologies. Duke University, UMD, UNT, CMU, BYU. 2013
- Fellow. American Physical Society. 2013
- Stansell Distinguished Research Award. Duke University. 2013
- Best Paper Award. CALPHAD (Computer Coupling of Phase Diagrams and Thermochemistry). 2008
- MRS Silver Medal Graduate Student Award. Materials Research Society. 2008
- NSF Early CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2008
- ONR Young Investigator Program Award. Office of Naval Research. 2008
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2007
- Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers. President of the United States of America. 2007
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
In the News
- Disordered Materials Could Be Hardest, Most Heat-Tolerant Ever (Nov 26, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- D.I.Y. Crystal-Makers Get Refurbished Online Cookbook (Jun 2, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Can artificial intelligence create the next wonder material? (May 5, 2016 | Nature)
- Engineering Researchers Reveal New Class of Stable Oxides Based on Five or More Elements (Oct 1, 2015)
- Researchers Aim to Develop New Techniques for Creating High-Temperature Alloys (Aug 25, 2015)
- A Made-to-Order Materials Menu (Nov 17, 2014 | Duke Research Blog)
- Duke Engineers Use Brute Force Computing to Find New Materials (Jan 5, 2014)
- How supercomputers will yield a golden age of materials science (Nov 22, 2013 | Scientific American)
- Pratt Engineers Awarded Four Department of Defense Grants (Jun 18, 2013)
- Kaufmann, K; Maryanovsky, D; Mellor, WM; Zhu, C; Rosengarten, AS; Harrington, TJ; Oses, C; Toher, C; Curtarolo, S; Vecchio, KS, Discovery of high-entropy ceramics via machine learning, Npj Computational Materials, vol 6 no. 1 (2020) [10.1038/s41524-020-0317-6] [abs].
- Muratov, EN; Bajorath, J; Sheridan, RP; Tetko, IV; Filimonov, D; Poroikov, V; Oprea, TI; Baskin, II; Varnek, A; Roitberg, A; Isayev, O; Curtarolo, S; Fourches, D; Cohen, Y; Aspuru-Guzik, A; Winkler, DA; Agrafiotis, D; Cherkasov, A; Tropsha, A, Correction: QSAR without borders., Chem. Soc. Rev., vol 49 no. 11 (2020) [10.1039/d0cs90041a] [abs].
- Liyanage, LSI; Sławińska, J; Gopal, P; Curtarolo, S; Fornari, M; Buongiorno Nardelli, M, High-Throughput Computational Search for Half-Metallic Oxides., Molecules (Basel, Switzerland), vol 25 no. 9 (2020) [10.3390/molecules25092010] [abs].
- Oses, C; Toher, C; Curtarolo, S, High-entropy ceramics, Nature Reviews Materials, vol 5 no. 4 (2020), pp. 295-309 [10.1038/s41578-019-0170-8] [abs].
- Calzolari, A; Pavan, B; Curtarolo, S; Buongiorno Nardelli, M; Fornari, M, Vibrational spectral fingerprinting for chemical recognition of biominerals., Chemphyschem : a European Journal of Chemical Physics and Physical Chemistry (2020) [10.1002/cphc.202000016] [abs].