Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, and Professor of Biomedical Engineering
The research of the Rubinstein group is in the field of polymer theory and computer simulations. The unique properties of polymeric systems are due to the size, topology and interactions of the molecules they are made of. Our goal is to understand the properties of various polymeric systems and to design new systems with even more interesting and useful properties.
Our approach is based upon building and solving simple molecular models of different polymeric systems. The models we develop are simple enough to be solved either analytically or numerically, but contain the main features leading to unique properties of real polymers. Computer simulations of our models serve as an important bridge between analytical calculations and experiments.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Chemistry
- Professor of Physics
- Office Location: Hudson Hall, Rm. 144, Box 90300, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5365
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Harvard University , 1983
Polymer theory and computer simulations
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- PHYSICS 590: Selected Topics in Theoretical Physics
In the News
- Duke Scientists Receive Royal Society of Chemistry Awards (May 7, 2019)
- Michael Rubinstein: A Collaborative Approach to Soft-Matter Engineering and Science (Sep 21, 2017)
- Huang, Q; Ahn, J; Parisi, D; Chang, T; Hassager, O; Panyukov, S; Rubinstein, M; Vlassopoulos, D, Unexpected Stretching of Entangled Ring Macromolecules., Physical Review Letters, vol 122 no. 20 (2019) [10.1103/physrevlett.122.208001] [abs].
- Wang, S; Panyukov, S; Rubinstein, M; Craig, SL, Quantitative Adjustment to the Molecular Energy Parameter in the Lake-Thomas Theory of Polymer Fracture Energy, Macromolecules, vol 52 no. 7 (2019), pp. 2772-2777 [10.1021/acs.macromol.8b02341] [abs].
- Galati, E; Tao, H; Tebbe, M; Ansari, R; Rubinstein, M; Zhulina, EB; Kumacheva, E, Helicoidal Patterning of Nanorods with Polymer Ligands., Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol 58 no. 10 (2019), pp. 3123-3127 [10.1002/anie.201812887] [abs].
- Ge, T; Rubinstein, M, Mobility of Polymer-Tethered Nanoparticles in Unentangled Polymer Melts., Macromolecules, vol 52 no. 4 (2019), pp. 1536-1545 [10.1021/acs.macromol.8b02138] [abs].
- Button, B; Goodell, HP; Atieh, E; Chen, Y-C; Williams, R; Shenoy, S; Lackey, E; Shenkute, NT; Cai, L-H; Dennis, RG; Boucher, RC; Rubinstein, M, Roles of mucus adhesion and cohesion in cough clearance., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol 115 no. 49 (2018), pp. 12501-12506 [10.1073/pnas.1811787115] [abs].