Matthew L Becker
Hugo L. Blomquist Distinguished Professor of Chemistry
The Becker Laboratory for Functional Biomaterials is a multidisciplinary organic materials group working at the interface of chemistry, organic materials and medicine. We are developing families of degradable polymers with highly tunable physical and biological properties that are being applied to unmet needs in bone, soft tissue, neural and vascular tissue engineering. We are also actively engaged in additive manufacturing and the development of custom inks that are enabling unique solutions to challenging design paradigms in biomaterials and drug delivery.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Hugo L. Blomquist Distinguished Professor of Chemistry
- Professor of Chemistry
- Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Material Science
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Office Location: B120 Levine Science Res Center, 308 Research Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 681-3812
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Washington University in St. Louis, 2003
- M.A. Washington University in St. Louis, 2000
- B.S. Northwest Missouri State University, 1998
Polymer chemistry; bioconjugate chemistry; molecular imaging and additive manufacturing; materials for bone, soft tissue, neural and vascular tissue engineering; drug and protein delivery; degradable materials for flexible electronics
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow. American Chemical Society. 2020
- Carl S. Marvel Award in Creative Polymer Chemistry. Polymer Division of the American Chemical Society. 2019
- Fellow. American Institute of Medical and Biomedical Engineering. 2018
- Fellow. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2017
- Biomacromolecules/ Macromolecules Young Investigator Award. American Chemical Society Publications. 2015
- CHEM 110DL: Honors Chemistry: Core Concepts in Context
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 590: Special Topics in Chemistry
In the News
- Duke Awards 29 University Distinguished Professorships (Apr 14, 2020)
- New Faculty, Bold Thinking (Oct 15, 2019 | Duke Stories)
- Yeazel, TR; Becker, ML, Advancing Toward 3D Printing of Bioresorbable Shape Memory Polymer Stents., Biomacromolecules, vol 21 no. 10 (2020), pp. 3957-3965 [10.1021/acs.biomac.0c01082] [abs].
- Nikam, SP; Chen, P; Nettleton, K; Hsu, Y-H; Becker, ML, Zwitterion Surface-Functionalized Thermoplastic Polyurethane for Antifouling Catheter Applications., Biomacromolecules, vol 21 no. 7 (2020), pp. 2714-2725 [10.1021/acs.biomac.0c00456] [abs].
- Worch, JC; Weems, AC; Yu, J; Arno, MC; Wilks, TR; Huckstepp, RTR; O'Reilly, RK; Becker, ML; Dove, AP, Elastomeric polyamide biomaterials with stereochemically tuneable mechanical properties and shape memory., Nature Communications, vol 11 no. 1 (2020) [10.1038/s41467-020-16945-8] [abs].