Matthew L Becker
Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Material Science
The Becker Laboratory for Functional Biomaterials is a multidisciplinary organic materials group working at the interface of chemistry, organic materials and medicine. We are developing families of degradable polymers with highly tunable physical and biological properties that are being applied to unmet needs in bone, soft tissue, neural and vascular tissue engineering. We are also actively engages in additive manufacturing and the development of custom inks that are enabling unique solutions to challenging design paradigms in biomaterials and drug delivery.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Chemistry
- Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Material Science
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Office Location: B120 Levine Science Res Center, 308 Research Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 681-3812
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Washington University in St. Louis, 2003
- M.A. Washington University in St. Louis, 2000
- B.S. Northwest Missouri State University, 1998
Polymer chemistry; bioconjugate chemistry; molecular imaging and additive manufacturing
Materials for bone, soft tissue, neural and vascular tissue engineering
Drug and protein delivery
Degradable materials for flexible electronics
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Carl S. Marvel Award in Creative Polymer Chemistry. Polymer Division of the American Chemical Society. 2019
- Fellow. American Institute of Medical and Biomedical Engineering. 2018
- Fellow. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2017
- Biomacromolecules/ Macromolecules Young Investigator Award. American Chemical Society Publications. 2015
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 590: Special Topics in Chemistry
In the News
- Duke Awards 29 University Distinguished Professorships (Apr 14, 2020)
- New Faculty, Bold Thinking (Oct 15, 2019 | Duke Stories)
- Worch, JC; Weems, AC; Yu, J; Arno, MC; Wilks, TR; Huckstepp, RTR; O'Reilly, RK; Becker, ML; Dove, AP, Elastomeric polyamide biomaterials with stereochemically tuneable mechanical properties and shape memory., Nature Communications, vol 11 no. 1 (2020) [10.1038/s41467-020-16945-8] [abs].
- Nikam, SP; Nettleton, K; Everitt, JI; Barton, HA; Becker, ML, Antibiotic eluting poly(ester urea) films for control of a model cardiac implantable electronic device infection., Acta Biomaterialia (2020) [10.1016/j.actbio.2020.04.025] [abs].
- Shin, Y; Becker, ML, Alternating ring-opening copolymerization of epoxides with saturated and unsaturated cyclic anhydrides: Reduced viscosity poly(propylene fumarate) oligomers for use in cDLP 3D printing, Polymer Chemistry, vol 11 no. 19 (2020), pp. 3313-3321 [10.1039/d0py00453g] [abs].
- Le Fer, G; Becker, ML, 4D Printing of Resorbable Complex Shape-Memory Poly(propylene fumarate) Star Scaffolds., Acs Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol 12 no. 20 (2020), pp. 22444-22452 [10.1021/acsami.0c01444] [abs].
- Zhu, T; Yang, Y; Zheng, L; Liu, L; Becker, ML; Gong, X, Solution-Processed Flexible Broadband Photodetectors with Solution-Processed Transparent Polymeric Electrode, Advanced Functional Materials, vol 30 no. 15 (2020) [10.1002/adfm.201909487] [abs].