Henri P Gavin
Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Henri Gavin's research interests are in the areas of structural dynamics, earthquake engineering, nonlinear dynamics, seismic hazard mitigation for building contents, system identification, the statistical characterization of environmental loads including wind and earthquake, and optimal control with application to systems with controllable damping.
Dr. Gavin is the director of the Structural Dynamics and Seismic Response Control Laboratory.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 162 Hudson Eng Ctr, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5201
- Ph.D. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1994
- M.Sc.Eng. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 1988
- B.S.E. Princeton University, 1986
Research InterestsStructural dynamics, earthquake engineering, seismic hazard mitigation for building contents, nonlinear dynamics, system identification, optimal control with application to systems with controllable damping.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Earl I Brown II Outstanding Civil Engineering Faculty Award. Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering. 2013
- President's Award. New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering. 2010
- Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching Award (ADUTA). Duke University. 2008
- ASEE Southeast Mid-Career Teaching Award. American Society for Engineering Education. 2007
- Klein Family Teaching Award. School of Engineering. 2006
- Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2005
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Sciences, fellowship. JSPS. 2002
- Packard Grant Finalist. Packard Foundation. 1997
- Early CAREER award. National Science Foundation. 1996
- Junior Faculty Enhancement Award. Oak Ridge Associated Universities. 1996
- CEE 201L: Uncertainty Design and Optimization
- CEE 493: Research Independent Study in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 494: Research Independent Study in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 541: Structural Dynamics
- CEE 629: System Identification
- ECE 392: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- EGR 201L: Mechanics of Solids
- EGRMGMT 590: Advanced Topics in Engineering Management
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- MENG 550: Master of Engineering Internship/Project
- MENG 551: Master of Engineering Internship/Project Assessment
In the News
- Tensegrity Tower Rises Behind Hudson Hall (May 9, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- Kuang, A; Sridhar, A; Garven, J; Gutschmidt, S; Rodgers, GW; Chase, JG; Gavin, HP; Nigbor, RL; MacRae, GA, Christchurch Women’s Hospital: Performance Analysis of the Base-Isolation System during the Series of Canterbury Earthquakes 2011–2012, Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, vol 30 no. 4 (2016), pp. 04015096-04015096 [10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000846] [abs].
- Rinker, JM; Gavin, HP; Clifton, A; Veers, PS; Kilcher, LF, Temporal Coherence: A Model for Non-stationarity in Natural and Simulated Wind Records, Boundary-Layer Meteorology, vol 159 no. 2 (2016), pp. 373-389 [10.1007/s10546-015-0121-x] [abs].
- Kelly, KC; Gavin, HP; Kelly, KC; Gavin, HP, Nonholonomically constrained dynamics of rolling isolation systemsNonholonomically constrained dynamics of rolling isolation systems, Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series, vol 1 (2016), pp. 339-346 [10.1007/978-3-319-29739-2_31] [abs].
- Yin, B; Gavin, H, Inelastic base shear reconstruction from sparse acceleration measurements of buildings, Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series, vol 2 (2016), pp. 163-173 [10.1007/978-3-319-29751-4_17] [abs].
- Harvey, PS; Gavin, HP, Assessment of a rolling isolation system using reduced order structural models, Engineering Structures, vol 99 (2015), pp. 708-725 [10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.05.022] [abs].