Tomasz A Hueckel
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Tomasz Hueckel received his master's degree in civil engineering from the University of Technology in Gdansk, Poland, in 1968, his Ph.D. in applied mechanics from the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw, in 1974, and the D.Sc. in physical sciences from the University of Grenoble, France, in 1985. He started his research career at the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw, then taught at the University of Rome and the University of Technology in Milan before joining ISMES, a research institute in Bergamo, Italy, where he was responsible for research on geomechanical aspects of nuclear waste disposal in clays, a subject in which he continues to be strongly involved. He came to Duke in 1987.
Dr. Hueckel's research interest is in theoretical soil mechanics, rock mechanics, and environmental geomechanics, as well as in theory of plasticity. His current projects deal with thermo-plasticity and chemo-plasticity of clays, and in general in mechanics of materials composed of chemically reacting solids and liquids. He is interested in fundamental aspects of soil drying and cracking, and processes of soil aging and healing. The above subjects involve mathematical modeling and model driven laboratory experiments. He also is interested in basic aspects of theory of plasticity, such as stability and localization. His research is applied to hydraulic geo-barriers affected either by chemically hazardous liquids or nuclear waste heat, to prediction of petroleum production induced compaction and subsidence, as well as desiccation damage.
Dr. Hueckel is a co-founder and co-Editor-in Chief (2015) of Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment, an Elsevier journal. He has published also in International Journal of Solids and Structures, International Journal of Engineering Science, Pure and Applied Geophysics, Surveys in Geophysics, Engineering Geology, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Engineering, International Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Computers and Geotechnics, International Journal of Soils and Foundations, Journal de Mecanique, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Meccanica, Ingenieur- Archiv, and the ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. He has also contributed to numerous books on the state of the art. Dr. Hueckel is heavily involved in international research cooperation, collaborating and co-authoring with Belgian, Italian, French, Polish, Spanish and Swiss researchers. He is or was a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, the Archive of Applied Mechanics and of the International Journal of Mechanics of Cohesive and Frictional Materials, ASCE Journals of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering and ASCE International Journal of Geomechanics, Italian Geotechnical Journal and Studia Geotechnica et Mechanica (Polish).
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 164 Hudson Eng Ctr, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5205
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- D.Sc. Grenoble Institute of Technology (France), 1985
- Ph.D. Polish Academy of Sciences, 1974
Mechanics of materials, theoretical soil mechanics, rock mechanics, theory of plasticity, multi-physics processes in geomechanics, nuclear waste disposal, energy and environmental geomechanics.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellowship of Excellence for Visiting Professors and Researchers. Government of Catalonia, Spain. 2004
- Fellowship. Fonds National de la Recherche Scientifique, Belgium. 2003
- Fellowship. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology. 2002
- Senior Resident Fellowship. Ministry of Research, Republic of France. 2000
- Member. Chi Epsilon Engineering Honor Society. 1989
- Award of the Secretary General. Polish Academy of Sciences. 1980
- Fellow. Italian National Council of Research. 1977
- Fellow. Italian National Council of Research. 1975
- First Prize, Most Interesting Paper in Mechanics. Polish Association for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics. 1972
- Scholarship (2 Years). Institute of Fundamental Technological Research, Polish Academy of Sciences. 1970
- CEE 621: Plasticity
- CEE 642: Environmental Geomechanics
- CEE 691: Independent Study: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 692: Independent Study: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- EGR 201L: Mechanics of Solids
In the News
- Hueckel, T; Laloui, L, Geomechanics for energy and the environment, Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment, vol 30 (2022) [10.1016/j.gete.2022.100355] [abs].
- Guével, A; Mielniczuk, B; Veveakis, M; Hueckel, T, Life Expectancy of Evaporating Capillary Bridges Predicted by Tertiary Creep Modeling, Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering, vol 8 (2022) [10.3389/fmech.2022.838501] [abs].
- Mielniczuk, B; El-Youssoufi, SM; Hueckel, T, The mechanics of air entry of drying-cracking soils: Physical models, Computers and Geotechnics, vol 136 (2021) [10.1016/j.compgeo.2021.104177] [abs].
- Hueckel, T, Multiphysics Role in Instabilities in Geomaterials: A Review (2021), pp. 1-30 [10.1002/9781119755203.ch1] [abs].
- Hueckel, T; Mielniczuk, B; Elyoussoufi, MS, Adhesion-force micro-scale study of desiccating granular material, Géotechnique, vol 70 no. 12 (2020), pp. 1133-1144 [10.1680/jgeot.18.P.298] [abs].
Honors and Awards
- National Science Foundation, Civil and Mechanical Systems
Program, Grant Award "Desiccation Cracks and Their Effects
on Permeability in Clays," PI, 2003-2006
- International Committee
on Land Subsidence, Eni (Italian National Board for Hydrocarbons),
- Fellowship of Excellence for Visiting Professors
and Researchers, Government of Catalonia, Spain, 01-07/2004
Fonds National de la Recherche Scientifique, Belgium, 2003,
- Fellowship, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne,
- Senior Resident Fellowship by the French Government, Ministry
of Research for the work on chemo-mechanics of geomaterials,
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the International Workshop
on Environmental Geomechanics, Ascona, Switzerland, July 2002.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board, International Conference
on Geomechanics of Nuclear Waste Disposal, Organized by French
National Nuclear Waste Disposal Agency, Andra, Paris, France,
- Senior Resident Fellowship by the French Government, Ministry
of Research for the work on chemo-mechanics of geomaterials, 2000
- Member of International Committee of 4th International Symposium
on Environmental Geotechnology and Global Sustainable Development,
Boston, Massachusetts, 1998.
- Member of Scientific Committee of 4th International Workshop
on Thermo-hydro-mechanics of Clay Barriers, McGill University,
Montreal, Canada, 1995.
- Award of the Secretary General of the Polish Academy of Sciences
for papers on cyclic behavior of soils (with Roberto Nova), 1980
- Fellow of Italian National Council of Research, 3 months, University
of Technology, Milan, Italy, 1977
- Fellow, Italian National Council of Research, 12 months, University
of Technology, Milan, Italy, 1975
- 1st prize in the National Annual Competition for "Most
Interesting Polish Paper in Mechanics, 1972" by Polish Association
for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 1972
- Scholarship of the Polish Academy of Sciences, 2 years, Institute
of Fundamental Technological Research, Warsaw, Poland, 1970-1972
Professional and Service Activities
- The Clay Minerals Society, Member (1989-present)
- American Academy of Mechanics, Member (1992- present)
- International Society of Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics,
member (2000- present)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Member (1992- present)
(Publication Committee, Member, 1998-present)
- International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering,
- American Geophysical Union, Member (1995- present)
- European Geophysical Society, Member (1993 - present)
- Chi Epsilon, Civil Engineers Honor Society, Member (1989-present)
- Societe' Historique et Literaire Polonais, Paris, Member (1988-present)
- Polish Association for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Member