Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science and Orthopaedics
Shyni Varghese has a triple appointment in the Duke departments of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, and Orthopaedic Surgery. She is the first MEDx Investigator.
A leader in the field of biomaterials and stem cells, Varghese will develop her research at Duke in three major areas:
- Musculoskeletal tissue repair
- Disease biophysics, and
- Organ-on-a-chip technology
A new initiative of the Pratt School of Engineering and Duke School of Medicine, Duke MEDx seeks to enhance and form new collaborations between doctors and engineers.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Laszlo Ormandy Distinguished Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Duke Regeneration Center
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. National Chemical Laboratory (India), 2002
Research InterestsMusculoskeletal tissue repair, disease biophysics and organ-on-a-chip technology
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 591: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- NEUROSCI 493: Research Independent Study 1
- NEUROSCI 494: Research Independent Study 2
In the News
- Organ-on-a-chip: Better Health Care Through Superior Drug Testing (Nov 24, 2021…
- Soft Robotic Dragonfly Signals Environmental Disruptions (Mar 25, 2021 | Pratt …
- A Crystal Ball for the Decade Ahead (Jan 9, 2020)
- Engineering a Better Bandage to Promote Faster Healing (Dec 13, 2019 | Pratt Sc…
- Big Ideas on a Small Chip Surface (Nov 1, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Researchers ID Pharmaceutical Target That Reverses Osteoporosis in Mice (Aug 22…
- Shyni Varghese: Making Miniature Models of Muscles, Bones and Tumors (Nov 18, 2…
- Cigliola, Valentina, Adam Shoffner, Nutishia Lee, Jianhong Ou, Trevor J. Gonzalez, Jiaul Hoque, Clayton J. Becker, et al. “Spinal cord repair is modulated by the neurogenic factor Hb-egf under direction of a regeneration-associated enhancer.” Nat Commun 14, no. 1 (August 11, 2023): 4857. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-023-40486-5.
- Gonzales, G., S. Zauscher, and S. Varghese. “Progress in the design and synthesis of viscosupplements for articular joint lubrication.” Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science 66 (August 1, 2023). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cocis.2023.101708.
- Aung, Aereas, Shruti K. Davey, Jomkuan Theprungsirikul, Vardhman Kumar, and Shyni Varghese. “Deciphering the Mechanics of Cancer Spheroid Growth in 3D Environments through Microfluidics Driven Mechanical Actuation.” Adv Healthc Mater 12, no. 14 (June 2023): e2201842. https://doi.org/10.1002/adhm.202201842.
- Newman, Hunter, and Shyni Varghese. “Extracellular adenosine signaling in bone health and disease.” Curr Opin Pharmacol 70 (June 2023): 102378. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coph.2023.102378.
- Rana, Isha, Sunny Kataria, Tuan Lin Tan, Edries Yousaf Hajam, Deepak Kumar Kashyap, Dyuti Saha, Johan Ajnabi, et al. “Mindin (SPON2) Is Essential for Cutaneous Fibrogenesis in a Mouse Model of Systemic Sclerosis.” J Invest Dermatol 143, no. 5 (May 2023): 699-710.e10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jid.2022.10.011.