Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science and Orthopaedics
Shyni Varghese has a triple appointment in the Duke departments of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, and Orthopaedic Surgery. She is the first MEDx Investigator.
A leader in the field of biomaterials and stem cells, Varghese will develop her research at Duke in three major areas:
- Musculoskeletal tissue repair
- Disease biophysics, and
- Organ-on-a-chip technology
A new initiative of the Pratt School of Engineering and Duke School of Medicine, Duke MEDx seeks to enhance and form new collaborations between doctors and engineers.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. National Chemical Laboratory (India), 2002
Musculoskeletal tissue repair, disease biophysics and organ-on-a-chip technology
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
- ME 221L: Structure and Properties of Solids
In the News
- Shyni Varghese: Making Miniature Models of Muscles, Bones and Tumors (Nov 18, 2016 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Shih, YV; Varghese, S, Tissue engineered bone mimetics to study bone disorders ex vivo: Role of bioinspired materials., Biomaterials, vol 198 (2019), pp. 107-121 [10.1016/j.biomaterials.2018.06.005] [abs].
- Katrekar, D; Chen, G; Meluzzi, D; Ganesh, A; Worlikar, A; Shih, Y-R; Varghese, S; Mali, P, In vivo RNA editing of point mutations via RNA-guided adenosine deaminases., Nature Methods, vol 16 no. 3 (2019), pp. 239-242 [10.1038/s41592-019-0323-0] [abs].
- Kumar, V; Varghese, S, Ex Vivo Tumor-on-a-Chip Platforms to Study Intercellular Interactions within the Tumor Microenvironment., Advanced Healthcare Materials, vol 8 no. 4 (2019) [10.1002/adhm.201801198] [abs].
- Zeng, Y; Hoque, J; Varghese, S, Biomaterial-assisted local and systemic delivery of bioactive agents for bone repair., Acta Biomaterialia (2019) [10.1016/j.actbio.2019.01.060] [abs].
- Hoque, J; Sangaj, N; Varghese, S, Stimuli-Responsive Supramolecular Hydrogels and Their Applications in Regenerative Medicine., Macromolecular Bioscience, vol 19 no. 1 (2019) [10.1002/mabi.201800259] [abs].