Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
Dr. Nandan Lad is a neurosurgeon, scientist, and entrepreneur and currently an Associate Professor at Duke University Medical Center with a focus in Neuromodulation and Neurorestoration. He is Director of the Duke NeuroInnovations Program, a systematic approach to medical device innovation to large unmet clinical needs.
He completed his MD and PhD in Biochemistry at Chicago Medical School and his neurosurgical residency training at Stanford with fellowships in Surgical Innovation and Functional Neurosurgery.
Neuromodulation; Neurorestoration; Bioengineering; Medical Device Design; Clinical Trials; Data Science; Health Outcomes.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Core Faculty in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Office Location: 200 Trent Drive, Blue Zone, Su, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-1973
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Stanford University, 2009
- Stanford University, 2008
- Stanford University, 2011
- Stanford University, 2005
- Ph.D. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2004
- M.D. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2004
Neurotrophin biology, neuroregeneration, medical device design
- NEUROSCI 391: Neuroscience Independent Scholarship 1: Advanced Topics
In the News
- A Challenging Diagnosis in a Patient With Metastatic Lung Cancer (Sep 13, 2016 | Clinical Practice Today)
- Chronic Foot, Ankle Pain After Lumbar Decompression Surgery (Aug 16, 2016 | Clinical Practice Today)
- Trying a New Pulse for Pain Relief (Nov 1, 2015)
- MRI Technology Reveals Deep Brain Pathways in Unprecedented Detail (Jun 4, 2015)
- Surgical Complications of DBS No Higher Risk for Older Parkinson’s Patients (Aug 27, 2014)
- Spinal Fusion Material, BMP, Increases Risk of Benign Tumors, Not Cancer (Sep 5, 2013)
- Elsamadicy, AA; Ashraf, B; Ren, X; Sergesketter, AR; Charalambous, L; Kemeny, H; Ejikeme, T; Yang, S; Pagadala, P; Parente, B; Xie, J; Pappas, TN; Lad, SP, Prevalence and Cost Analysis of Chronic Pain After Hernia Repair: A Potential Alternative Approach With Neurostimulation., Neuromodulation, vol 22 no. 8 (2019), pp. 960-969 [10.1111/ner.12871] [abs].
- Adil, SM; Liu, B; Charalambous, LT; Kiyani, M; Gramer, R; Swisher, CB; Verbick, LZ; McCabe, A; Parente, BA; Pagadala, P; Lad, SP, Healthcare Economics of Hydrocephalus After Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage in the United States., Transl Stroke Res, vol 10 no. 6 (2019), pp. 650-663 [10.1007/s12975-019-00697-9] [abs].
- Atik, AF; Calabrese, E; Gramer, R; Adil, SM; Rahimpour, S; Pagadala, P; Johnson, GA; Lad, SP, Structural mapping with fiber tractography of the human cuneate fasciculus at microscopic resolution in cervical region., Neuroimage, vol 196 (2019), pp. 200-206 [10.1016/j.neuroimage.2019.04.030] [abs].
- Blackburn, SL; Swisher, CB; Grande, AW; Rubi, A; Verbick, LZ; McCabe, A; Lad, SP, Novel Dual Lumen Catheter and Filtration Device for Removal of Subarachnoid hemorrhage: First Case Report., Oper Neurosurg (Hagerstown), vol 16 no. 5 (2019), pp. E148-E153 [10.1093/ons/opy151] [abs].
- Elsamadicy, AA; Ren, X; Kemeny, H; Charalambous, L; Sergesketter, AR; Rahimpour, S; Williamson, T; Goodwin, CR; Abd-El-Barr, MM; Gottfried, ON; Xie, J; Lad, SP, Independent Associations With 30- and 90-Day Unplanned Readmissions After Elective Lumbar Spine Surgery: A National Trend Analysis of 144 123 Patients., Neurosurgery, vol 84 no. 3 (2019), pp. 758-767 [10.1093/neuros/nyy215] [abs].