Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
Dr. Nandan Lad is a neurosurgeon, scientist, and entrepreneur and currently an Associate Professor at Duke University Medical Center with a focus in Neuromodulation and Neurorestoration. He is Director of the Duke NeuroInnovations Program, a systematic approach to medical device innovation to large unmet clinical needs.
He completed his MD and PhD in Biochemistry at Chicago Medical School and his neurosurgical residency training at Stanford with fellowships in Surgical Innovation and Functional Neurosurgery. Dr. Lad currently serves on the boards of several privately held companies.
Neurotrophin biology; Neuroregeneration; Bioengineering; Medical Device Design; Clinical Trials; National & institutional neurosurgical outcomes analysis.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Core Faculty in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Office Location: 200 Trent Drive, Blue Zone, Su, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-1973
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stanford University, 2009
- Stanford University, 2008
- Stanford University, 2011
- Stanford University, 2005
- Ph.D. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2004
- M.D. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2004
Neurotrophin biology, neuroregeneration, medical device design
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- I&E 720: Biodesign
- NEUROSCI 391: Neuroscience Independent Scholarship 1: Advanced Topics
- NEUROSCI 494: Research Independent Study 2
In the News
- A Challenging Diagnosis in a Patient With Metastatic Lung Cancer (Sep 13, 2016 | Clinical Practice Today )
- Chronic Foot, Ankle Pain After Lumbar Decompression Surgery (Aug 16, 2016 | Clinical Practice Today )
- Trying a New Pulse for Pain Relief (Nov 1, 2015)
- MRI Technology Reveals Deep Brain Pathways in Unprecedented Detail (Jun 4, 2015)
- Surgical Complications of DBS No Higher Risk for Older Parkinson’s Patients (Aug 27, 2014)
- Spinal Fusion Material, BMP, Increases Risk of Benign Tumors, Not Cancer (Sep 5, 2013)
- Elsamadicy, AA; Yang, S; Sergesketter, AR; Ashraf, B; Charalambous, L; Kemeny, H; Ejikeme, T; Ren, X; Pagadala, P; Parente, B; Xie, J; Lad, SP, Prevalence and Cost Analysis of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS): A Role for Neuromodulation., Neuromodulation : Journal of the International Neuromodulation Society, vol 21 no. 5 (2018), pp. 423-430 [10.1111/ner.12691] [abs].
- Elsamadicy, AA; Kemeny, H; Adogwa, O; Sankey, EW; Goodwin, CR; Yarbrough, CK; Lad, SP; Karikari, IO; Gottfried, ON, Influence of racial disparities on patient-reported satisfaction and short- and long-term perception of health status after elective lumbar spine surgery., Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, vol 29 no. 1 (2018), pp. 40-45 [10.3171/2017.12.spine171079] [abs].
- Lad, SP; Yang, S; Xie, J; Farjat, A; Pagadala, P; Parente, B, Down the Rabbit Hole: Specialty Influence on SCS Outcomes., Neuromodulation : Journal of the International Neuromodulation Society, vol 21 no. 4 (2018), pp. 417-420 [10.1111/ner.12789] [abs].
- Charalambous, LT; Premji, A; Tybout, C; Hunt, A; Cutshaw, D; Elsamadicy, AA; Yang, S; Xie, J; Giamberardino, C; Pagadala, P; Perfect, JR; Lad, SP, Prevalence, healthcare resource utilization and overall burden of fungal meningitis in the United States., Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol 67 no. 2 (2018), pp. 215-227 [10.1099/jmm.0.000656] [abs].
- Elsamadicy, AA; Sergesketter, A; Ren, X; Mohammed Qasim Hussaini, S; Laarakker, A; Rahimpour, S; Ejikeme, T; Yang, S; Pagadala, P; Parente, B; Xie, J; Lad, SP, Drivers and Risk Factors of Unplanned 30-Day Readmission Following Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation., Neuromodulation : Journal of the International Neuromodulation Society, vol 21 no. 1 (2018), pp. 87-92 [10.1111/ner.12689] [abs].