Assistant Research Professor in the Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
As Associate Director, Shana leads grant operations for the Harnessing AI for Understanding & Designing Materials (aiM Program), a Research Traineeship program supported by the National Science Foundation.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Research Professor in the Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Location: CIEMAS 3255, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-3929
- Email Address: email@example.com
- B.S. Pacific University, 2007
- M.B.A. Elon University, 2014
- M.Ed. North Carolina State University, 2015
- Ph.D. North Carolina State University, 2021
Research InterestsSTEM Education, Representation in science and engineering careers, Access to internships, Undergraduate/Graduate student professional development, Team Science/Convergence/Interdisciplinarity.
- COMPSCI 590: Advanced Topics in Computer Science
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- McAlexander, Shana L., Katherine McCance, Margaret R. Blanchard, and Richard A. Venditti. “Investigating the Experiences, Beliefs, and Career Intentions of Historically Underrepresented Science and Engineering Undergraduates Engaged in an Academic and Internship Program.” Sustainability 14, no. 3 (January 27, 2022): 1486–1486. https://doi.org/10.3390/su14031486.
- McAlexander, Shana, Margaret Blanchard, Richard Venditti, Katherine McCance, and Karen Collier. “An Interdisciplinary Model to Diversify STEM Participation: College, High School, and Industry Partnerships.” In Handbook of Research on Student, Scientist, & Teacher Partnerships (Pp. 95-132), edited by D. Farland-Smith, 2021. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-7998-4966-7.ch007.
- McCance, Katherine R., Antonio Suarez, Shana L. McAlexander, Georganna Davis, Margaret R. Blanchard, and Richard A. Venditti. “Modeling a Biorefinery: Converting Pineapple Waste to Bioproducts and Biofuel.” Journal of Chemical Education 98, no. 6 (June 8, 2021): 2047–54. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jchemed.1c00020.