William M. Fairbank Assistant Professor of Physics
Experimental Condensed Matter
Appointments and Affiliations
- William M. Fairbank Assistant Professor of Physics
- Assistant Professor of Physics
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Office Location: 099 Physics Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 613-6821
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. McMaster University, 2010
- M.S. McMaster University, 2005
- B.S. McMaster University, 2003
Exploring novel collective phenomena in quantum materials by means of neutron and x-ray scattering techniques; Investigating quantum critical phenomena at extreme environmental conditions of ultra-low temperature, high magnetic field, and high pressure; Materials by Design: synthesis, single crystal growth and characterization of correlated electron systems, quantum magnets, topological systems, metal-organic frameworks, and high-temperature superconductors.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award. ORAU. 2017
- ME 391: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- PHYSICS 151L9D: Introductory Mechanics (Discussion Component)
- PHYSICS 264L: Optics and Modern Physics
- PHYSICS 493: Research Independent Study
- PHYSICS 495: Thesis Independent Study
- PHYSICS 791: SPECIAL READINGS
In the News
- Cooking Up Frustrated Magnets in Search of Superconductivity (Jun 12, 2017 | Duke Research Blog)
- From Frustration to Discovery (Feb 17, 2017 | Fields Magazine, National High Magnetic Field Laboratory)
- Sara Haravifard: Physicist Learning About Magnetic Moments (Oct 8, 2015)
- Shi, Z; Steinhardt, W; Graf, D; Corboz, P; Weickert, F; Harrison, N; Jaime, M; Marjerrison, C; Dabkowska, HA; Mila, F; Haravifard, S, Emergent bound states and impurity pairs in chemically doped Shastry-Sutherland system., Nature Communications, vol 10 no. 1 (2019) [10.1038/s41467-019-10410-x] [abs].
- Haravifard, S; Graf, D; Feiguin, AE; Batista, CD; Lang, JC; Silevitch, DM; Srajer, G; Gaulin, BD; Dabkowska, HA; Rosenbaum, TF, Crystallization of spin superlattices with pressure and field in the layered magnet SrCu2(BO3)2., Nature Communications, vol 7 (2016) [10.1038/ncomms11956] [abs].
- Haravifard, S; Banerjee, A; van Wezel, J; Silevitch, DM; dos Santos, AM; Lang, JC; Kermarrec, E; Srajer, G; Gaulin, BD; Molaison, JJ; Dabkowska, HA; Rosenbaum, TF, Reply to Zayed: Interplay of magnetism and structure in the Shastry-Sutherland model., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol 112 no. 5 (2015), pp. E383-E384 [10.1073/pnas.1423100112] [abs].
- Haravifard, S; Yamani, Z; Gaulin, BD, Quantum Phase Transitions, vol 48 (2015), pp. 43-144 [10.1016/B978-0-12-802049-4.00002-6] [abs].
- Haravifard, S; Banerjee, A; van Wezel, J; Silevitch, DM; dos Santos, AM; Lang, JC; Kermarrec, E; Srajer, G; Gaulin, BD; Molaison, JJ; Dabkowska, HA; Rosenbaum, TF, Emergence of long-range order in sheets of magnetic dimers., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol 111 no. 40 (2014), pp. 14372-14377 [10.1073/pnas.1413318111] [abs].