William M. Fairbank Assistant Professor of Physics
Experimental Condensed Matter / Quantum Materials
Appointments and Affiliations
- William M. Fairbank Assistant Professor of Physics
- Assistant Professor of Physics
- Assistant Professor in the Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Office Location: 099 Physics Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 613-6821
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- B.S. McMaster University (Canada), 2003
- M.S. McMaster University (Canada), 2005
- Ph.D. McMaster University (Canada), 2010
Research InterestsExploring novel collective phenomena in quantum materials by means of neutron and x-ray scattering techniques; Investigating quantum critical phenomena at extreme environmental conditions of ultra-low temperature, high magnetic field, and high pressure; Materials by Design: synthesis, single crystal growth and characterization of correlated electron systems, quantum magnets, topological systems, metal-organic frameworks, and high-temperature superconductors.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award. ORAU. 2017
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- PHYSICS 264L: Optics and Modern Physics
- PHYSICS 362D: Electricity and Magnetism
- PHYSICS 493: Research Independent Study
- PHYSICS 516: Quantum Materials: Introduction to Solid State Physics
In the News
- What Cooking Shows and Physics Labs Have in Common (Sep 8, 2023 | PBS North Car…
- Cooking Up Frustrated Magnets in Search of Superconductivity (Jun 12, 2017 | Du…
- From Frustration to Discovery (Feb 17, 2017 | Fields Magazine, National High Ma…
- Sara Haravifard: Physicist Learning About Magnetic Moments (Oct 8, 2015)
- Ennis, Matthew, Rabindranath Bag, Chunxiao Liu, Sachith E. Dissanayake, Alexander I. Kolesnikov, Leon Balents, and Sara Haravifard. “Realization of two-sublattice exchange physics in the triangular lattice compound Ba3Er(BO3)3,” June 4, 2023.
- Xu, Sijie, Rabindranath Bag, Nicholas E. Sherman, Lalit Yadav, Alexander I. Kolesnikov, Andrey A. Podlesnyak, Joel E. Moore, and Sara Haravifard. “Realization of U(1) Dirac Quantum Spin Liquid in YbZn2GaO5,” May 31, 2023.
- Bag, R., S. E. Dissanayake, H. Yan, Z. Shi, D. Graf, E. S. Choi, C. Marjerrison, et al. “Beyond single tetrahedron physics of the breathing pyrochlore compound Ba3Yb2Zn5 O11.” Physical Review B 107, no. 14 (April 1, 2023). https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.107.L140408.
- Pratt, F. L., F. Lang, S. J. Blundell, W. Steinhardt, S. Haravifard, S. Mañas-Valero, E. Coronado, B. M. Huddart, and T. Lancaster. “Studying spin diffusion and quantum entanglement with LF- μsR.” In Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 2462, 2023. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/2462/1/012038.
- Haravifard, Sara. “Pressure and field: the keys to unlock exotic states in quantum materials.” In Acta Crystallographica Section a Foundations and Advances, 78:a208–a208. International Union of Crystallography (IUCr), 2022. https://doi.org/10.1107/s2053273322097911.