Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Dr. Regis Kopper is an Assistant Research Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science at Duke’s Pratt School of Engineering and the director of the Duke immersive Virtual Environment (DiVE). Dr. Kopper has experience in the design and evaluation of virtual reality systems in the areas of interaction design and modeling, virtual human interaction and in the evaluation of the benefits of immersive systems. At Duke, Dr. Kopper investigates how immersive virtual reality technology and experiences can benefit different domain areas, such as archeology, health care, engineering, psychology and neuroscience. His research interests include 3D user interfaces, novel interaction techniques and immersive display systems. Dr. Kopper is a recipient of the best paper award in the IEEE Symposium in 3D User Interfaces and was a member of the first team to be awarded the IEEE 3D User Interfaces Grand Prize. His research has been funded by the DoD, NSF, NIH, FAPESP (Brazil) and CNPq (Brazil). Dr. Kopper received his B.A. and M.S. from the Pontifical Catholic University in Porto Alegre, Brazil and his Ph.D. from Virginia Tech.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Office Location: 3563 Fciemas, Box 90300, Durham, NC 27708-0271
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5570
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Virginia Polytech Institute and State University, 2011
3D user interfaces, novel interaction techniques and immersive display systems.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Research Impact in Human-Computer Interaction Award. Center for Human- Computer Interaction, Virginia Tech. 2015
- Best paper award. 2011 IEEE 3DUI Symposium. 2011
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- COMPSCI 394: Research Independent Study
- ECE 391: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 493: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- EGR 391: Projects in Engineering
- ISS 320S: Introduction to Programming and User Interface Design in Unity 3D
- ISS 590: Special Topics in Information Science + Studies
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 758S: Curricular Practical Training
- ME 759: Special Readings in Mechanical Engineering
- VMS 326S: Introduction to Programming and User Interface Design in Unity 3D
In the News
- With Duke Now Featuring Four Locations for Virtual Reality, the Community Can Enter Worlds Never Before Imaginable (Jul 5, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- High-Tech Tools Yield Roman Discovery (Jul 27, 2016)
- DIVE, Art Historians Recreate 8,000-Year-Old City (Jul 20, 2016)
- Visitors DiVE into Virtual Reality at Duke (Jun 29, 2015)
- Cao, Z; Jerald, J; Kopper, R, Visually-Induced Motion Sickness Reduction via Static and Dynamic Rest Frames, 25th Ieee Conference on Virtual Reality and 3d User Interfaces, Vr 2018 Proceedings (2018), pp. 105-112 [10.1109/VR.2018.8446210] [abs].
- Zhao, Y; Forte, M; Kopper, R, VR Touch Museum, 25th Ieee Conference on Virtual Reality and 3d User Interfaces, Vr 2018 Proceedings (2018), pp. 741-742 [10.1109/VR.2018.8446581] [abs].
- Olk, B; Dinu, A; Zielinski, DJ; Kopper, R, Measuring visual search and distraction in immersive virtual reality., Royal Society Open Science, vol 5 no. 5 (2018) [10.1098/rsos.172331] [abs].
- Clements, JM; Kopper, R; Zielinski, DJ; Rao, H; Sommer, MA; Kirsch, E; Mainsah, BO; Collins, LM; Appelbaum, LG, Neurophysiology of Visual-Motor Learning During a Simulated Marksmanship Task in Immersive Virtual Reality, 2018 Ieee Conference on Virtual Reality and 3d User Interfaces (Vr) (2018) [10.1109/vr.2018.8446068] [abs].
- Rao, HM; Khanna, R; Zielinski, DJ; Lu, Y; Clements, JM; Potter, ND; Sommer, MA; Kopper, R; Appelbaum, LG, Sensorimotor Learning during a Marksmanship Task in Immersive Virtual Reality., Frontiers in Psychology, vol 9 (2018) [10.3389/fpsyg.2018.00058] [abs].