Michael M. Zavlanos
Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials ScienceMichael M. Zavlanos specializes in the area of networked control systems, distributed control and optimization, hybrid control, with applications to robotic, sensor, communication, and biomolecular networks.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 2008
A range of topics in the emerging discipline of networked dynamical systems, which studies systems of physical agents interacting via a communication medium in search of joint control principles that determine network behavior. Focus on robotic and sensor networks, with applications in formation flying, communication maintenance or intruder detection, as well as on biological and social networks, whose structure and operations respectively determine the way in which many diseases are formed and information is spread. Particularly interested in hybrid solution techniques, on the interface of control theory with the discrete science of networks and graphs.
- CEE 627: Linear System Theory
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- ECE 382: Linear Control Systems
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ME 344L: Control of Dynamic Systems
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 627: Linear System Theory
- ME 758S: Curricular Practical Training
- Freundlich, C; Zhang, Y; Zhu, AZ; Mordohai, P; Zavlanos, MM, Controlling a robotic stereo camera under image quantization noise, International Journal of Robotics Research, vol 36 no. 12 (2017), pp. 1268-1285 [10.1177/0278364917735163] [abs].
- Preciado, VM; Zavlanos, MM, Distributed Network Design for Laplacian Eigenvalue Placement, IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems, vol 4 no. 3 (2017), pp. 598-609 [10.1109/TCNS.2016.2544249] [abs].
- Chatzipanagiotis, N; Zavlanos, MM, On the Convergence of a Distributed Augmented Lagrangian Method for Nonconvex Optimization, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol 62 no. 9 (2017), pp. 4405-4420 [10.1109/TAC.2017.2658438] [abs].
- Guo, M; Zavlanos, MM, Distributed data gathering with buffer constraints and intermittent communication, Proceedings - IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (2017), pp. 279-284 [10.1109/ICRA.2017.7989036] [abs].
- Kantaros, Y; Zavlanos, MM, Distributed Intermittent Connectivity Control of Mobile Robot Networks, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol 62 no. 7 (2017), pp. 3109-3121 [10.1109/TAC.2016.2626400] [abs].