Professor in the Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Chi's research interest is on designing better materials by advancing our knowledge of the behavior of atoms, electrons, and ions in materials using novel electron microscopy, for applications in energy, sustainability, and microelectronics.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Ph.D. University of California - Davis, 2008
- Bertrand, M., L. Groleau, T. Bibienne, S. Rousselot, X. Liu, M. Chi, F. Z. T. Yang, V. K. Peterson, S. Schmid, and M. Dollé. “Calcium substitution to improve the total ionic conductivity of the Li3/8Sr7/16Ta3/4Hf1/4O3 perovskite-type electrolyte.” Solid State Ionics 400 (November 1, 2023). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssi.2023.116324.
- Mei, Hongyan, Guodong Ren, Boyang Zhao, Jad Salman, Gwan Yeong Jung, Huandong Chen, Shantanu Singh, et al. “Colossal Optical Anisotropy from Atomic-Scale Modulations.” Advanced Materials (Deerfield Beach, Fla.) 35, no. 42 (October 2023): e2303588. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.202303588.
- Kim, Na Yeon, Shaohong Cao, Karren L. More, Andrew R. Lupini, Jianwei Miao, and Miaofang Chi. “Hollow Ptychography: Toward Simultaneous 4D Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy and Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy.” Small (Weinheim an Der Bergstrasse, Germany) 19, no. 37 (September 2023): e2208162. https://doi.org/10.1002/smll.202208162.
- Thapaliya, B. P., A. S. Ivanov, H. Y. Chao, M. Lamm, M. Chi, H. M. Meyer, X. G. Sun, T. Aytug, S. Dai, and S. M. Mahurin. “Molten salt electrochemical upcycling of CO2 to graphite for high performance battery anodes.” Carbon 212 (August 1, 2023). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2023.118151.
- Cao, Z., H. Li, Q. Fan, Z. Liu, Z. Chen, Y. Sun, J. Ye, et al. “Interstitial carbon atoms enhance both selectivity and activity of rhodium catalysts toward C-C cleavage in direct ethanol fuel cells.” Nano Energy 113 (August 1, 2023). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nanoen.2023.108597.