Louis E DeFrate
Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Frank H. Bassett III, M. D. Associate Professor
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: Room 379, Medical Sciences Research Building, Box 3093 Med. Ctr., Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-9959
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sc.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Kappa Delta Young Investigator Award. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2016
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
In the News
- Study Shows Men and Women Tear ACL the Same Way In Non-Contact Injury (Apr 18, 2018 | Duke Health News)
- His and Her Knee Injuries Occur the Same Way (Apr 18, 2018 | US News and World Report)
- How to prevent knee injuries (Dec 1, 2017 | KSAT News)
- Knee arthritis in Americans has doubled since 1940 (Aug 17, 2017 | Science Magazine)
- Athletes: Try this to prevent ACL tears and knee injuries (Aug 10, 2017 | WRAL News)
- Clinical Sciences Day: Collaboration, Mentorship Lead to Science Successes (Oct 22, 2013 | Duke Research Blog)
- Englander, ZA; Wittstein, JR; Goode, AP; Garrett, WE; DeFrate, LE, Reconsidering Reciprocal Length Patterns of the Anteromedial and Posterolateral Bundles of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament During In Vivo Gait., Am J Sports Med (2020) [10.1177/0363546520924168] [abs].
- Goode, AP; Schwartz, TA; Kraus, VB; Huebner, JL; George, SZ; Cleveland, RJ; Gracely, R; Jimenez, M; DeFrate, LE; Chen, J; Golightly, YM; Jordan, JM, Inflammatory, Structural, and Pain Biochemical Biomarkers May Reflect Radiographic Disc Space Narrowing: The Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project., J Orthop Res, vol 38 no. 5 (2020), pp. 1027-1037 [10.1002/jor.24534] [abs].
- Englander, ZA; Garrett, WE; Spritzer, CE; DeFrate, LE, In vivo attachment site to attachment site length and strain of the ACL and its bundles during the full gait cycle measured by MRI and high-speed biplanar radiography., J Biomech, vol 98 (2020) [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2019.109443] [abs].
- Englander, ZA; Baldwin, EL; Smith, WAR; Garrett, WE; Spritzer, CE; DeFrate, LE, In Vivo Anterior Cruciate Ligament Deformation During a Single-Legged Jump Measured by Magnetic Resonance Imaging and High-Speed Biplanar Radiography., Am J Sports Med, vol 47 no. 13 (2019), pp. 3166-3172 [10.1177/0363546519876074] [abs].
- Ruprecht, JC; Waanders, TD; Rowland, CR; Nishimuta, JF; Glass, KA; Stencel, J; DeFrate, LE; Guilak, F; Weinberg, JB; McNulty, AL, Meniscus-Derived Matrix Scaffolds Promote the Integrative Repair of Meniscal Defects., Scientific Reports, vol 9 no. 1 (2019) [10.1038/s41598-019-44855-3] [abs].