Louis E DeFrate
Frank H. Bassett III, M. D. Associate Professor
Appointments and Affiliations
- Frank H. Bassett III, M. D. Associate Professor
- Associate Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: Room 379, Medical Sciences Research Building, Box 3093 Med. Ctr., Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-9959
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Sc.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Kappa Delta Young Investigator Award. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2016
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
In the News
- His and Her Knee Injuries Occur the Same Way (Apr 18, 2018 | US News and World Report)
- Study Shows Men and Women Tear ACL the Same Way In Non-Contact Injury (Apr 18, 2018 | Duke Health News)
- How to prevent knee injuries (Dec 1, 2017 | KSAT News)
- Knee arthritis in Americans has doubled since 1940 (Aug 17, 2017 | Science Magazine)
- Athletes: Try this to prevent ACL tears and knee injuries (Aug 10, 2017 | WRAL News)
- Clinical Sciences Day: Collaboration, Mentorship Lead to Science Successes (Oct 22, 2013 | Duke Research Blog)
- Englander, ZA; Martin, JT; Ganapathy, PK; Garrett, WE; DeFrate, LE, Automatic registration of MRI-based joint models to high-speed biplanar radiographs for precise quantification of in vivo anterior cruciate ligament deformation during gait., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 81 (2018), pp. 36-44 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.09.010] [abs].
- Taylor, KA; Collins, AT; Heckelman, LN; Kim, SY; Utturkar, GM; Spritzer, CE; Garrett, WE; DeFrate, LE, Activities of daily living influence tibial cartilage T1rho relaxation times., Journal of Biomechanics (2018) [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.10.029] [abs].
- Sutter, EG; Liu, B; Utturkar, GM; Widmyer, MR; Spritzer, CE; Cutcliffe, HC; Englander, ZA; Goode, AP; Garrett, WE; DeFrate, LE, Effects of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Deficiency on Tibiofemoral Cartilage Thickness and Strains in Response to Hopping., The American Journal of Sports Medicine (2018) [10.1177/0363546518802225] [abs].
- Collins, AT; Kulvaranon, ML; Cutcliffe, HC; Utturkar, GM; Smith, WAR; Spritzer, CE; Guilak, F; DeFrate, LE, Obesity alters the in vivo mechanical response and biochemical properties of cartilage as measured by MRI., Arthritis Research & Therapy, vol 20 no. 1 (2018) [10.1186/s13075-018-1727-4] [abs].
- Collins, AT; Hatcher, CC; Kim, SY; Ziemian, SN; Spritzer, CE; Guilak, F; DeFrate, LE; McNulty, AL, Selective Enzymatic Digestion of Proteoglycans and Collagens Alters Cartilage T1rho and T2 Relaxation Times., Annals of Biomedical Engineering (2018) [10.1007/s10439-018-02143-7] [abs].