Louis E DeFrate
Frank H. Bassett III, M. D. Associate Professor
Appointments and Affiliations
- Frank H. Bassett III, M. D. Associate Professor
- Associate Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Material Science
- Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: Room 379, Medical Sciences Research Building, Box 3093 Med. Ctr., Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-9959
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Sc.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Kappa Delta Young Investigator Award. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2016
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
In the News
- Study Shows Men and Women Tear ACL the Same Way In Non-Contact Injury (Apr 18, 2018 | Duke Health News )
- His and Her Knee Injuries Occur the Same Way (Apr 18, 2018 | US News and World Report )
- How to prevent knee injuries (Dec 1, 2017 | KSAT News )
- Knee arthritis in Americans has doubled since 1940 (Aug 17, 2017 | Science Magazine )
- Athletes: Try this to prevent ACL tears and knee injuries (Aug 10, 2017 | WRAL News )
- Clinical Sciences Day: Collaboration, Mentorship Lead to Science Successes (Oct 22, 2013 | Duke Research Blog )
- Martin, JT; Oldweiler, AB; Spritzer, CE; Soher, BJ; Erickson, MM; Goode, AP; DeFrate, LE, A magnetic resonance imaging framework for quantifying intervertebral disc deformation in vivo: Reliability and application to diurnal variations in lumbar disc shape., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 71 (2018), pp. 291-295 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.01.045] [abs].
- Owusu-Akyaw, KA; Heckelman, LN; Cutcliffe, HC; Sutter, EG; Englander, ZA; Spritzer, CE; Garrett, WE; DeFrate, LE, A comparison of patellofemoral cartilage morphology and deformation in anterior cruciate ligament deficient versus uninjured knees., Journal of Biomechanics, vol 67 (2018), pp. 78-83 [10.1016/j.jbiomech.2017.11.019] [abs].
- Liu, B; Lad, NK; Collins, AT; Ganapathy, PK; Utturkar, GM; McNulty, AL; Spritzer, CE; Moorman, CT; Sutter, EG; Garrett, WE; DeFrate, LE, In Vivo Tibial Cartilage Strains in Regions of Cartilage-to-Cartilage Contact and Cartilage-to-Meniscus Contact in Response to Walking., American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol 45 no. 12 (2017), pp. 2817-2823 [10.1177/0363546517712506] [abs].
- DeFrate, LE, Effects of ACL graft placement on in vivo knee function and cartilage thickness distributions., Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol 35 no. 6 (2017), pp. 1160-1170 [10.1002/jor.23541] [abs].
- Liu, B; Goode, AP; Carter, TE; Utturkar, GM; Huebner, JL; Taylor, DC; Moorman, CT; Garrett, WE; Kraus, VB; Guilak, F; DeFrate, LE; McNulty, AL, Matrix metalloproteinase activity and prostaglandin E2 are elevated in the synovial fluid of meniscus tear patients., Connective Tissue Research (Informa), vol 58 no. 3-4 (2017), pp. 305-316 [10.1080/03008207.2016.1256391] [abs].