Professor of the Practice in the Department of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
Robert Kielb has over 45 years academic, industrial and government research laboratory experience in turbomachinery propulsion. This consists of 8 years with the U. S. Air Force, 10 years with NASA Lewis Research Center, and 12 years with GE Aircraft Engines as Manager of Aeromechanics Technology. He has also been an Affiliated Professor at the Swedish Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) since 2008. KTH is the leading science and technology university in Sweden. Currently he is Associate Chair of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science at Duke University where conducts research and teaches. He is also Director of the GUIde Consortium (10 companies, 4 universities and 2 government organizations) and Duke Coordinator for the EU-funded THRUST MEng Program. His primary experiences are: 1) developing and implementing state-of-the-art mechanical and aeromechanical design technologies; 2) directing blade design, manufacture, and test; 3) initiating and executing R&D programs to support needed technology improvements, and 4) coordinating research programs among government, industry and universities (GUIde). He has authored or co-authored over fifty technical papers, is a recipient of the ASME’s Melville Award for substantial improvements in the understanding of turbine aeroelasticity, and has presented invited lectures worldwide. Dr. Kielb is a Fellow of the ASME and was a Chair of the Board of Directors of the International Gas Turbine Institute, serving on the Board for 6 years. He has also served as Technical Program Chair for ASME Turbo Expo ’96, Chair of the ASME Structures and Dynamics Committee, and Associate Editor of both the Journal of Turbomachinery and Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power. (ASME – American Society of Mechanical Engineers)
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of the Practice in the Department of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
- Office Location: 179 Hudson Hall, Box 90300, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5327
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Ohio State University, 1981
Unsteady aerodynamics, aeroelasticity, mistuning, damping, and probabilistic methods. Principal investigator on AFOSR, DARPA, NASA, and industry-funded research projects.
- ENRGYEGR 490: Special Topics in Energy Engineering
- ME 391: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 490: Special Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 491: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 544: Advanced Mechanical Vibrations
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 591: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 759: Special Readings in Mechanical Engineering
- MENG 550: Master of Engineering Internship/Project
- MENG 551: Master of Engineering Internship/Project Assessment
In the News
- The Sky's the Limit for Duke Engineers Designing the Safest, Most Cost-Efficient Aircraft and Turbomachinery (May 24, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Building Faster, Safer Jet Turbines (May 23, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Hegde, S; Kielb, R, Mistuned forced response sensitivity of an embedded compressor rotor: Effect of sideband travelling wave excitations, Aiaa Scitech 2021 Forum, vol 1 PartF (2021), pp. 1-20 [abs].
- Hegde, S; Zori, L; Campregher, R; Kielb, R, Separation of wake and potential field excitations in an embedded compressor rotor: Impact of wave reflections and mistuning on forced response, Aiaa Scitech 2021 Forum (2021), pp. 1-27 [10.2514/6.2021-0265] [abs].
- Hegde, S; Kielb, R; Zori, L; Campregher, R, Impact of multi-row aerodynamic interaction on the forced response behaviour of an embedded compressor rotor, Proceedings of the Asme Turbo Expo, vol 2E-2020 (2020) [10.1115/GT2020-14482] [abs].
- Gutierrez Salas, M; Petrie-Repar, P; Kielb, RE; Key, NL, A Mistuned Forced Response Analysis of an Embedded Compressor Blisk Using a Reduced-Order Model, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, vol 141 no. 3 (2019) [10.1115/1.4041280] [abs].
- Doherty, J; Joshi, M; Levin, D; Rauseo, M; Sharma, M; Kielb, R; Dowell, E, Nonlinear interaction of a flutter induced limit cycle oscillation of a cantilevered wing with a forced gust excitation, Aiaa Scitech 2019 Forum (2019) [10.2514/6.2019-1862] [abs].