Benjamin J Wiley
Associate Professor of ChemistryIn the Wiley Group, we make new nanomaterials by controlling the assembly of atoms in solution, and explore applications for nanomaterials in medicine, catalysis, plasmonics, and electronics. Our goal is to precisely control the size, shape, and composition of materials on the nanometer scale to explore how these parameters affect the fundamental properties of a material, and produce such nanomaterials economically so they can be applied to solve real-world problems.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Chemistry
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 2214 French Family Science Cen, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 668-3066
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Washington, 2007
- B.S. University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, 2003
Research InterestsIn the Wiley Group, we make new nanomaterials by controlling the assembly of atoms in solution, and explore applications for nanomaterials in medicine, catalysis, plasmonics, and electronics. Our goal is to precisely control the size, shape, and composition of materials on the nanometer scale to explore how these parameters affect the fundamental properties of a material, and produce such nanomaterials economically so they can be applied to solve real-world problems.
Nanoscience and Materials
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Highly Cited Researcher. Thomson Reuters. 2014
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2013
- Colloid and Surface Science Division Poster Award. ACS. 2009
- Graduate Student Gold Award. MRS. 2009
- Iron Range Scholarship. University of Minnesota. 2009
- NSF- IGERT Graduate Fellowship. Unknown. 2009
- NSF-IGERT Early Bird Award in Nanotechnology. University of Washington. 2009
- Roon Award. Federation of Socities for Coatings Technology. 2009
- Runstad Fellowship. University of Washington. 2009
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award for Individual Postdoctoral Fellows. NIH. 2008
- CHEM 311: Physical Chemistry II
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 548: Solid-State and Materials Chemistry
In the News
- Stretchable, Twistable Wires for Wearable Electronics (Apr 3, 2018 | Duke Research Blog )
- 3-D Printers Open New Design Space for Wireless Devices (May 4, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- Energy Initiative Awards Seven New Seed Grants (Apr 28, 2017)
- 3-D-Printable Implants May Ease Damaged Knees (Apr 19, 2017)
- 'Spray-On' Memory Could Enable Bendable Digital Storage (Apr 3, 2017)
- Nanowire Inks Enable Paper-Based Printable Electronics (Jan 3, 2017)
- Copper Nanowires Now Match Performance of Leading Competitor (Mar 26, 2014 | Duke Research Blog )
- 1100 Words: Seeds of a Solar Cell (Mar 18, 2014)
- Copper Promises Cheaper, Sturdier Fuel Cells (Nov 22, 2013)
- Cardenas, JA; Upshaw, S; Catenaccr, MJ; Wiley, BJ; Franklin, AD, Exploring silver contact morphologies in printed carbon nanotube thin-film transistors, Device Research Conference Conference Digest, Drc, vol 2018-June (2018) [10.1109/DRC.2018.8442217] [abs].
- Manning, HG; Niosi, F; da Rocha, CG; Bellew, AT; O'Callaghan, C; Biswas, S; Flowers, PF; Wiley, BJ; Holmes, JD; Ferreira, MS; Boland, JJ, Emergence of winner-takes-all connectivity paths in random nanowire networks., Nature Communications, vol 9 no. 1 (2018) [10.1038/s41467-018-05517-6] [abs].
- Reyes, C; Fu, L; Suthanthiraraj, PPA; Owens, CE; Shields, CW; López, GP; Charbonneau, P; Wiley, BJ, The Limits of Primary Radiation Forces in Bulk Acoustic Standing Waves for Concentrating Nanoparticles, Particle & Particle Systems Characterization, vol 35 no. 7 (2018), pp. 1700470-1700470 [10.1002/ppsc.201700470] [abs].
- Kim, MJ; Alvarez, S; Yan, T; Tadepalli, V; Fichthorn, KA; Wiley, BJ, Modulating the Growth Rate, Aspect Ratio, and Yield of Copper Nanowires with Alkylamines, Chemistry of Materials, vol 30 no. 8 (2018), pp. 2809-2818 [10.1021/acs.chemmater.8b00760] [abs].
- Catenacci, MJ; Reyes, C; Cruz, MA; Wiley, BJ, Stretchable Conductive Composites from Cu-Ag Nanowire Felt., Acs Nano, vol 12 no. 4 (2018), pp. 3689-3698 [10.1021/acsnano.8b00887] [abs].