A PhD in Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science from Duke helps to open opportunities for future success. Duke MEMS has an excellent track record of placing doctoral graduates in industry, national labs, and academia—and empowering a growing number of graduates to start their own companies.
Where Our Grads Work
About 20 percent of MEMS PhD grads go on to positions in academia. Recent examples include:
- Johns Hopkins University
- Northwestern University
- U.S. Naval Academy
- University of Texas at Austin
- Duke University
Industry & Public Sector
About 60 percent of MEMS PhD grads go on to careers in the public and private sectors. Recent examples include:
- Northrop Grumman
- PreScouter, Inc.
- GE Research
- McKinsey & Company
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield of NC
- U.S. Naval Research Laboratory
- U.S. Army Research Laboratory
- U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory
- COMSOL, Inc.
- ICON Technology and Process Consulting