Graduate Degree Programs
5 Reasons to choose Duke MEMS
- Interdisciplinary environment bridging engineering, science and management. Our Mechanical Engineering programs feature strong collaboration with biomedical, civil and environmental, electrical and computer engineering and computer science, while Materials Science unites engineering innovation with applied mathematics, physics and chemistry. Across these specialties, we offer options to add core management courses, internships and professional development workshops to position you for career success.
- Cutting-edge research with internationally-recognized faculty in aerospace engineering; energy and fluidic technology; materials design and discovery; robotics, dynamics and controls; soft materials and biomaterials and beyond—with extensive opportunities for collaborative research with faculty and students across Duke University and Duke University Medical Center through programs such as MEDx (Medicine + Engineering), Innovation & Entrepreneurship (I&E) and the Information Initiative at Duke (iiD).
- Individualized curricula emphasizing experiential learning. Our flexible curriculum allows students to define their own specialties and bridge to other disciplines. Project-based learning and faculty-guided research directly translate research into graduate training. Internships add practical relevance to advanced coursework.
- A welcoming, inclusive and close-knit community of peers and mentors—and an outstanding worldwide network of alumni
- A terrific location in an award-winning city neighboring Research Triangle Park – the largest research park in the United States – plus a lower cost of living compared to the Northeast and West Coast
More Benefits for choosing Duke
For PhD students:
- Direct admission to a research group
- Full funding, plus school and departmental conference & travel support
- PhD Plus, our innovative professional development program
- MEMS Graduate Student Committee and peer-to-peer fellowship counseling
For master's students:
- Flexible curriculum for an industry- or research-oriented career
- Dedicated career services, including our Tech Connect events
- Internship resources with startups and industry partners
- MEMS Graduate Student Committee social & professional group