Tomasz A Hueckel
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Tomasz Hueckel received his master's degree in civil engineering from the University of Technology in Gdansk, Poland, in 1968, his Ph.D. in applied mechanics from the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw, in 1974, and the D.Sc. in physical sciences from the University of Grenoble, France, in 1985. He started his research career at the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw, then taught at the University of Rome and the University of Technology in Milan before joining ISMES, a research institute in Bergamo, Italy, where he was responsible for research on geomechanical aspects of nuclear waste disposal in clays, a subject in which he continues to be strongly involved. He came to Duke in 1987.
Dr. Hueckel's research interest is in theoretical soil mechanics, rock mechanics, and environmental geomechanics, as well as in theory of plasticity. His current projects deal with thermo-plasticity and chemo-plasticity of clays, and in general in mechanics of materials composed of chemically reacting solids and liquids. He is interested in fundamental aspects of soil drying and cracking, and processes of soil aging and healing. The above subjects involve mathematical modeling and model driven laboratory experiments. He also is interested in basic aspects of theory of plasticity, such as stability and localization. His research is applied to hydraulic geo-barriers affected either by chemically hazardous liquids or nuclear waste heat, to prediction of petroleum production induced compaction and subsidence, as well as desiccation damage.
Dr. Hueckel is a co-founder and co-Editor-in Chief (2015) of Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment, an Elsevier journal. He has published also in International Journal of Solids and Structures, International Journal of Engineering Science, Pure and Applied Geophysics, Surveys in Geophysics, Engineering Geology, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Engineering, International Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Computers and Geotechnics, International Journal of Soils and Foundations, Journal de Mecanique, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Meccanica, Ingenieur- Archiv, and the ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. He has also contributed to numerous books on the state of the art. Dr. Hueckel is heavily involved in international research cooperation, collaborating and co-authoring with Belgian, Italian, French, Polish, Spanish and Swiss researchers. He is or was a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, the Archive of Applied Mechanics and of the International Journal of Mechanics of Cohesive and Frictional Materials, ASCE Journals of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering and ASCE International Journal of Geomechanics, Italian Geotechnical Journal and Studia Geotechnica et Mechanica (Polish).
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor in Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 164 Hudson Eng Ctr, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5205
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- D.Sc. Grenoble Institute of Technology (France), 1985
- Ph.D. Polish Academy of Sciences, 1974
Research Interestsmechanics of materials, theoretical soil mechanics, rock mechanics, and environmental geomechanics, theory of plasticity
- CEE 302L: Introduction to Soil Mechanics
- CEE 520: Continuum Mechanics
- CEE 621: Plasticity
- EGR 201L: Mechanics of Solids
In the News
- Venuleo, S; Laloui, L; Terzis, D; Hueckel, T; Hassan, M, Microbially induced calcite precipitation effect on soil thermal conductivity, Geotechnique Letters, vol 6 no. 1 (2016), pp. 39-44 [10.1680/jgele.15.00125] [abs].
- Hueckel, T; Hu, LB; Hu, MM, Coupled chemo-mechanics: A comprehensive process modelling for energy Geotechnics, Energy Geotechnics - Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Energy Geotechnics, ICEGT 2016 (2016), pp. 25-34 [abs].
- Gajo, A; Cecinato, F; Hueckel, T, A micro-scale inspired chemo-mechanical model of bonded geomaterials, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, vol 80 (2015), pp. 425-438 [10.1016/j.ijrmms.2015.10.001] [abs].
- Mielniczuk, B; Hueckel, T; El Youssoufi, MS, Laplace pressure evolution and four instabilities in evaporating two-grain liquid bridges, Powder Technology, vol 283 (2015), pp. 137-151 [10.1016/j.powtec.2015.05.024] [abs].
- Guo, R; Hueckel, T, Silica polymer bonding of stressed silica grains: An early growth of intergranular tensile strength, vol 1 (2015), pp. 48-59 [10.1016/j.gete.2015.02.002] [abs].
Additional InformationHonors and Awards
- National Science Foundation, Civil and Mechanical Systems Program, Grant Award "Desiccation Cracks and Their Effects on Permeability in Clays," PI, 2003-2006
- International Committee on Land Subsidence, Eni (Italian National Board for Hydrocarbons), member, 2002-2004
- Fellowship of Excellence for Visiting Professors and Researchers, Government of Catalonia, Spain, 01-07/2004
- Fellowship, Fonds National de la Recherche Scientifique, Belgium, 2003, 2002
- Fellowship, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, 2002
- Senior Resident Fellowship by the French Government, Ministry of Research for the work on chemo-mechanics of geomaterials, Summer 2000
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the International Workshop on Environmental Geomechanics, Ascona, Switzerland, July 2002.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board, International Conference on Geomechanics of Nuclear Waste Disposal, Organized by French National Nuclear Waste Disposal Agency, Andra, Paris, France, 2000
- Senior Resident Fellowship by the French Government, Ministry of Research for the work on chemo-mechanics of geomaterials, 2000
- Member of International Committee of 4th International Symposium on Environmental Geotechnology and Global Sustainable Development, Boston, Massachusetts, 1998.
- Member of Scientific Committee of 4th International Workshop on Thermo-hydro-mechanics of Clay Barriers, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, 1995.
- Award of the Secretary General of the Polish Academy of Sciences for papers on cyclic behavior of soils (with Roberto Nova), 1980
- Fellow of Italian National Council of Research, 3 months, University of Technology, Milan, Italy, 1977
- Fellow, Italian National Council of Research, 12 months, University of Technology, Milan, Italy, 1975
- 1st prize in the National Annual Competition for "Most Interesting Polish Paper in Mechanics, 1972" by Polish Association for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 1972
- Scholarship of the Polish Academy of Sciences, 2 years, Institute of Fundamental Technological Research, Warsaw, Poland, 1970-1972
- The Clay Minerals Society, Member (1989-present)
- American Academy of Mechanics, Member (1992- present)
- International Society of Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics, member (2000- present)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Member (1992- present) (Publication Committee, Member, 1998-present)
- International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Member (1992-present)
- American Geophysical Union, Member (1995- present)
- European Geophysical Society, Member (1993 - present)
- Chi Epsilon, Civil Engineers Honor Society, Member (1989-present)
- Societe' Historique et Literaire Polonais, Paris, Member (1988-present)
- Polish Association for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Member (1972-1981)