Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Nanoscale Science of Energy
- Computational materials science
- Nanotube growth characterization
- Alloy theory
- Superlubricity on quasicrystals
- Superconductivity in Metal borides
- Genetic Approaches to QM Predictions of Materials Structures
- Materials for Nuclear Detection
The research is multidisciplinary and makes use of state of the art techniques from fields like materials science, chemistry, physics, quantum mechanics, mathematics and computer science.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Chemistry
- Professor in the Department of Physics
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Director of the Center for Materials Genomics
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5310
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2003
- M.S. Pennsylvania State University, 1999
- M.S. University of Padua (Italy), 1995
Nanoscale/microscale computing systems
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Best Paper Award. CALPHAD (Computer Coupling of Phase Diagrams and Thermochemistry). 2008
- MRS Silver Medal Graduate Student Award. Materials Research Society. 2008
- NSF Early CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2008
- ONR Young Investigator Program Award. Office of Naval Research. 2008
- Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers. President of the United States of America. 2007
- ME 221L: Structure and Properties of Solids
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Calderon, CE; Plata, JJ; Toher, C; Oses, C; Levy, O; Fornari, M; Natan, A; Mehl, MJ; Hart, G; Buongiorno Nardelli, M; Curtarolo, S, The AFLOW standard for high-throughput materials science calculations, Computational Materials Science, vol 108 (2015), pp. 233-238 [10.1016/j.commatsci.2015.07.019] [abs].
- Gopal, P; Fornari, M; Curtarolo, S; Agapito, LA; Liyanage, LSI; Nardelli, MB, Improved predictions of the physical properties of Zn- and Cd-based wide band-gap semiconductors: A validation of the ACBN0 functional, Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, vol 91 no. 24 (2015) [10.1103/PhysRevB.91.245202] [abs].
- Mehl, MJ; Finkenstadt, D; Dane, C; Hart, GLW; Curtarolo, S, Finding the stable structures of N 1 − x W x with an ab initio high-throughput approach, Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, vol 91 no. 18 (2015) [10.1103/PhysRevB.91.184110] [abs].
- Sachet, E; Shelton, CT; Harris, JS; Gaddy, BE; Irving, DL; Curtarolo, S; Donovan, BF; Hopkins, PE; Sharma, PA; Sharma, AL; Ihlefeld, J; Franzen, S; Maria, JP, Dysprosium-doped cadmium oxide as a gateway material for mid-infrared plasmonics., Nature Materials, vol 14 no. 4 (2015), pp. 414-420 [10.1038/nmat4203] [abs].
- Isayev, O; Fourches, D; Muratov, EN; Oses, C; Rasch, K; Tropsha, A; Curtarolo, S, Materials Cartography: Representing and Mining Materials Space Using Structural and Electronic Fingerprints, Chemistry of Materials, vol 27 no. 3 (2015), pp. 735-743 [10.1021/cm503507h] [abs].