Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials ScienceDr. Regis Kopper is an Assistant Research Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science at Duke’s Pratt School of Engineering and the director of the Duke immersive Virtual Environment (DiVE). Dr. Kopper has experience in the design and evaluation of virtual reality systems in the areas of interaction design and modeling, virtual human interaction and in the evaluation of the benefits of immersive systems. At Duke, Dr. Kopper investigates how immersive virtual reality technology and experiences can benefit different domain areas, such as archeology, health care, engineering, psychology and neuroscience. His research interests include 3D user interfaces, novel interaction techniques and immersive display systems. Dr. Kopper is a recipient of the best paper award in the IEEE Symposium in 3D User Interfaces and was a member of the first team to be awarded the IEEE 3D User Interfaces Grand Prize. His research has been funded by the DoD, NSF, NIH, FAPESP (Brazil) and CNPq (Brazil). Dr. Kopper received his B.A. and M.S. from the Pontifical Catholic University in Porto Alegre, Brazil and his Ph.D. from Virginia Tech.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5570
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Virginia Polytech Institute and State University, 2011
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Research Impact in Human-Computer Interaction Award. Center for Human- Computer Interaction, Virginia Tech. 2015
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- COMPSCI 393: Research Independent Study
- COMPSCI 394: Research Independent Study
- EGR 391: Projects in Engineering
- ISIS 320S: Introduction to Interaction Design and Virtual Environments
- ISS 320S: Introduction to Programming and User Interface Design in Unity 3D
- VMS 326S: Introduction to Programming and User Interface Design in Unity 3D
In the News
- High-Tech Tools Yield Roman Discovery (Jul 27, 2016)
- DIVE, Art Historians Recreate 8,000-Year-Old City (Jul 20, 2016)
- Visitors DiVE into Virtual Reality at Duke (Jun 29, 2015)
- Zielinski, DJ; Rao, H; Potter, N; Appelbaum, LG; Kopper, R, Evaluating the effects of image persistence on dynamic target acquisition in low frame rate virtual environments, Proceedings - IEEE Virtual Reality, vol 2016-July (2016), pp. 319-320 [10.1109/VR.2016.7504782] [abs].
- Zielinski, DJ; Sommer, MA; Rao, HM; Appelbaum, LG; Potter, ND; Kopper, R, Evaluating the effects of image persistence on dynamic target acquisition in low frame rate virtual environments, 2016 IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces, 3DUI 2016 - Proceedings (2016), pp. 133-140 [10.1109/3DUI.2016.7460043] [abs].
- Soares, LP; De Oliveira, TV; Sangalli, VA; Pinho, MS; Kopper, R, Collaborative hybrid virtual environment, 2016 IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces, 3DUI 2016 - Proceedings (2016), pp. 283-284 [10.1109/3DUI.2016.7460081] [abs].
- Burkins, A; Kopper, R, Wayfinding by auditory cues in virtual environments, 2015 IEEE Virtual Reality Conference, VR 2015 - Proceedings (2015), pp. 155-156 [10.1109/VR.2015.7223342] [abs].
- Bennett, R; Zielinski, DJ; Kopper, R, Comparison of interactive environments for the archaeological exploration of 3D landscape data, 2014 IEEE VIS International Workshop on 3DVis, 3DVis 2014 (2015), pp. 67-71 [10.1109/3DVis.2014.7160103] [abs].