Omar Mohamad Knio
Edmund T. Pratt Jr. School Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
My research interests encompass computational fluid mechanics, oceanic and atmospheric flows, turbulent flow, physical acoustics, chemically-reactive flow, energetic materials, microfluidic devices, dynamical systems, numerical methods, and asymptotic and stochastic techniques.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Edmund T. Pratt Jr. School Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5344
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1990
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- ME 221L: Structure and Properties of Solids
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Vohra, M; Weihs, TP; Knio, OM, A simplified computational model of the oxidation of Zr/Al multilayers, Combustion and Flame, vol 162 no. 1 (2015), pp. 249-257 [10.1016/j.combustflame.2014.07.010] [abs].
- Sraj, I; Mandli, KT; Knio, OM; Dawson, CN; Hoteit, I, Uncertainty quantification and inference of Manning’s friction coefficients using DART buoy data during the Tōhoku tsunami, Ocean Modelling, vol 83 (2014), pp. 82-97 [10.1016/j.ocemod.2014.09.001] [abs].
- Sraj, I; Iskandarani, M; Thacker, WC; Srinivasan, A; Knio, OM, Drag Parameter Estimation Using Gradients and Hessian from a Polynomial Chaos Model Surrogate, Monthly Weather Review, vol 142 no. 2 (2014), pp. 933-941 [10.1175/MWR-D-13-00087.1] [abs].
- Sraj, I; Specht, PE; Thadhani, NN; Weihs, TP; Knio, OM, Numerical simulation of shock initiation of Ni/Al multilayered composites, Journal of Applied Physics, vol 115 no. 2 (2014), pp. 023515-023515 [10.1063/1.4861402] [abs].
- Alexanderian, A; Rizzi, F; Rathinam, M; Le Maître, OP; Knio, OM, Preconditioned Bayesian regression for stochastic chemical kinetics, Journal of Scientific Computing, vol 58 no. 3 (2014), pp. 592-626 [10.1007/s10915-013-9745-5] [abs].