Associate in Research
Dr. Deman Tang's research interests include:
- Linear and Nonlinear Structural Dynamics, Unsteady Aerodynamics and Fluid/Structure
- Experimental Modal Analysis and Wind Tunnel Experimental Technique
- Noise and Vibration Control
- Nonlinear Aeroelasticity of Aircraft and Rotorcraft
- Molecular Dynamics and Reduced Order Model Analysis
Here are six short videos showing experimental aeroelastic models undergoing limit cycle oscillations in the Duke wind tunnel:
- An airfoil with a nonlinear freeplay in the connection from the main airfoil to the trailing edge control surface.
- A delta wing with a strong structural nonlinearity as a result of tension in the mid-plane of the plate-like wing induced by bending of the wing out of its initially undeformed plane.
- A very high aspect ratio wing that behaves as a beam with double bending (both transverse to and in-line with the aerodynamic flow field) and twisting. A nonlinear coupling among double bending and twisting occurs. Also the aerodynamic flow field experiences separation due to the large motions involved.
- A delta wing with an external store, flutter and limit cycle oscillations.
- LCO and Flutter of WingStore model
- Flapping Flag Flutter
- Office Location: 230 Hudson Hall
- Office Phone: 919-660-5332
- Email Address: email@example.com
Linear and nonlinear structural dynamics, unsteady aerodynamics and fluid/structure interaction, experimental modal analysis and wind tunnel experimental technique, noise and vibration control, nonlinear aeroelasticity of aircraft and rotorcraft, and molecular dynamics and reduced order model analysis.
- Nonlinear Dynamics
- Tang, Deman and Attar, Peter and Li, Aiqin and Dowell, Earl H., Complex dynamics of a pyranose ring structure molecule attached to an atomic force microscope, Nonlinear Dynamics, vol 45 no. 3-4 (2006), pp. 283 - 303 [s11071-006-0508-9] [abs].
- Tang, Deman and Dowell, Earl H., Flutter and limit-cycle oscillations for a wing-store model with freeplay, Journal of Aircraft, vol 43 no. 2 (2006), pp. 487 - 503 [abs].
- Tang, Deman and Dowell, Earl H., Aerodynamic flow control of an airfoil with small trailing-edge strips, Journal of Aircraft, vol 43 no. 6 (2006), pp. 1854 - 1866 [1.18969] [abs].
- Tang, Deman and Dowell, Earl H., Experimental and theoretical study of gust response for a wing-store model with freeplay, Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol 295 no. 3-5 (2006), pp. 659 - 684  [abs].
- Tang, Deman and Attar, Peter and Dowell, Earl H., Flutter/limit cycle oscillation analysis and experiment for wing-store model, AIAA Journal, vol 44 no. 7 (2006), pp. 1662 - 1675 [abs].