Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
David Mitzi received his B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Engineering Physics from Princeton University in 1985 and his Ph.D. in Applied Physics from Stanford University in 1990. Prior to joining the faculty at Duke in 2014, Dr. Mitzi spent 23 years at IBM’s T.J. Watson Research Center, where his focus was on the search for and application of new electronic materials, including organic-inorganic hybrids and inorganic materials for photovoltaic, LED, transistor and memory applications. For his final five years at IBM, he served as manager for the Photovoltaic Science and Technology Department, where he initiated and managed a multi-company program to develop a low-cost, high-throughput approach to deposit thin-film chalcogenide-based absorber layers for high-efficiency solar cells. Dr. Mitzi’s current research interests involve making emerging photovoltaic materials more effective, cost-efficient and competitive for the energy market. He holds a number of patents, and has authored or coauthored more than 190 papers and book chapters.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Chemistry
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 1990
- B.S. Princeton University, 1985
Dr. Mitzi's current research interests involve making emerging photovoltaic materials more effective, cost-efficient and competitive for the energy market.
- ME 490: Special Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- Xiao, Z; Meng, W; Saparov, B; Duan, HS; Wang, C; Feng, C; Liao, W; Ke, W; Zhao, D; Wang, J; Mitzi, DB; Yan, Y, Photovoltaic Properties of Two-Dimensional (CH3NH3)2Pb(SCN)2I2 Perovskite: A Combined Experimental and Density Functional Theory Study., Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, vol 7 no. 7 (2016), pp. 1213-1218 [abs].
- Berry, J; Buonassisi, T; Egger, DA; Hodes, G; Kronik, L; Loo, YL; Lubomirsky, I; Marder, SR; Mastai, Y; Miller, JS; Mitzi, DB; Paz, Y; Rappe, AM; Riess, I; Rybtchinski, B; Stafsudd, O; Stevanovic, V; Toney, MF; Zitoun, D; Kahn, A; Ginley, D; Cahen, D, Hybrid Organic-Inorganic Perovskites (HOIPs): Opportunities and Challenges., Advanced Materials, vol 27 no. 35 (2015), pp. 5102-5112 [abs].
- Saparov, B; Hong, F; Sun, J-P; Duan, H-S; Meng, W; Cameron, S; Hill, IG; Yan, Y; Mitzi, DB, Thin-Film Preparation and Characterization of Cs 3 Sb 2 I 9 : A Lead-Free Layered Perovskite Semiconductor, Chemistry of Materials, vol 27 no. 16 (2015), pp. 5622-5632 [10.1021/acs.chemmater.5b01989] [abs].
- Sardashti, K; Haight, R; Gokmen, T; Wang, W; Chang, L-Y; Mitzi, DB; Kummel, AC, Impact of Nanoscale Elemental Distribution in High-Performance Kesterite Solar Cells, Advanced Energy Materials, vol 5 no. 10 (2015), pp. n/a-n/a [10.1002/aenm.201402180] [abs].
- Abou-Ras, D; Edoff, M; Minemoto, T; Mitzi, D; Romeo, A, Preface of E-MRS 2014 symposium A, Thin Solid Films, vol 582 (2015), pp. 1-1 [10.1016/j.tsf.2015.01.001] [abs].