Simon Family Professor
David Mitzi received his B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Engineering Physics from Princeton University in 1985 and his Ph.D. in Applied Physics from Stanford University in 1990. Prior to joining the faculty at Duke in 2014, Dr. Mitzi spent 23 years at IBM’s T.J. Watson Research Center, where his focus was on the search for and application of new electronic materials, including organic-inorganic hybrids and inorganic materials for photovoltaic, LED, transistor and memory applications. For his final five years at IBM, he served as manager for the Photovoltaic Science and Technology Department, where he initiated and managed a multi-company program to develop a low-cost, high-throughput approach to deposit thin-film chalcogenide-based absorber layers for high-efficiency solar cells. Dr. Mitzi’s current research interests involve making emerging photovoltaic materials more effective, cost-efficient and competitive for the energy market. He holds a number of patents, and has authored or coauthored more than 190 papers and book chapters.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Simon Family Professor
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Chemistry
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 1990
- B.S. Princeton University, 1985
Dr. Mitzi's current research interests involve making emerging photovoltaic materials more effective, cost-efficient and competitive for the energy market.
- ME 490: Special Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
In the News
- Duke Awards Distinguished Professorships, Inducts New Bass Society Members (May 5, 2016)
- Duke Initiative Brings a Lot of Energy to Research (May 7, 2015 | Duke Research Blog )
- Mitzi Awarded SunShot Initiative Funding to Improve Thin-Film Solar Cell Materials (Oct 23, 2014)
- David Mitzi: Harvesting More of the Sun’s Shine (Aug 18, 2014)
- Shin, D; Saparov, B; Mitzi, DB, Defect Engineering in Multinary Earth-Abundant Chalcogenide Photovoltaic Materials, Advanced Energy Materials (2017), pp. 1602366-1602366 [10.1002/aenm.201602366] [abs].
- Younts, R; Duan, HS; Gautam, B; Saparov, B; Liu, J; Mongin, C; Castellano, FN; Mitzi, DB; Gundogdu, K, Efficient Generation of Long-Lived Triplet Excitons in 2D Hybrid Perovskite., Advanced Materials (2016) [10.1002/adma.201604278] [abs].
- Shin, D; Ngaboyamahina, E; Zhou, Y; Glass, JT; Mitzi, DB, Synthesis and Characterization of an Earth-Abundant Cu2BaSn(S,Se)4 Chalcogenide for Photoelectrochemical Cell Application., Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, vol 7 no. 22 (2016), pp. 4554-4561 [abs].
- Xiao, Z; Meng, W; Mitzi, DB; Yan, Y, Crystal Structure of AgBi2I7 Thin Films., Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, vol 7 no. 19 (2016), pp. 3903-3907 [abs].
- Chagarov, E; Sardashti, K; Haight, R; Mitzi, DB; Kummel, AC, Density-functional theory computer simulations of CZTS 0.25 Se 0.75 alloy phase diagrams, Journal of Chemical Physics, vol 145 no. 6 (2016), pp. 064704-064704 [10.1063/1.4959591] [abs].