Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
Experimental and theoretical research coupling physicochemical hydrodynamics with interfacial engineering
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5343
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 2004
Our research deals with experimental and theoretical investigations of small-scale physicochemical hydrodynamics, where transport and interfacial phenomena closely interact with each other. By manipulating surface tension actively and passively, e.g. using electric fields and surface structures, we are develop innovative solutions for applications ranging from bioanalytical assays to microelectronics cooling.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 431L: Heat and Mass Transfer
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Zhang, K; Liu, F; Williams, AJ; Qu, X; Feng, JJ; Chen, CH, Self-Propelled Droplet Removal from Hydrophobic Fiber-Based Coalescers., Physical Review Letters, vol 115 no. 7 (2015) [abs].
- Qu, X; Boreyko, JB; Liu, F; Agapov, RL; Lavrik, NV; Retterer, ST; Feng, JJ; Collier, CP; Chen, C-H, Self-propelled sweeping removal of dropwise condensate, Applied Physics Letters, vol 106 no. 22 (2015), pp. 221601-221601 [10.1063/1.4921923] [abs].
- Liu, F; Chen, C-H, Electrohydrodynamic cone-jet bridges: Stability diagram and operating modes, Journal of Electrostatics, vol 72 no. 4 (2014), pp. 330-335 [10.1016/j.elstat.2014.05.004] [abs].
- Liu, F; Ghigliotti, G; Feng, JJ; Chen, C-H, Numerical simulations of self-propelled jumping upon drop coalescence on non-wetting surfaces, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol 752 (2014), pp. 39-65 [10.1017/jfm.2014.320] [abs].
- Liu, F; Ghigliotti, G; Feng, JJ; Chen, C-H, Self-propelled jumping upon drop coalescence on Leidenfrost surfaces, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol 752 (2014), pp. 22-38 [10.1017/jfm.2014.319] [abs].