Brian P Mann
Jeffrey N. Vinik Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Appointments and Affiliations
- Jeffrey N. Vinik Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Director of Graduate Studies in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 238 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5310
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- D.Sc. Washington University, 2003
- M.S. Washington University, 1999
- B.S. University of Missouri at Columbia, 1996
Research InterestsNonlinear dynamics and vibration utilizing analytical, numerical, and experimental techniques. Fundamental investigations of phenomenon and application areas where dynamical systems theory plays an important role.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- ASME Elected Fellow. ASME. 2013
- Philip E Doak Award . Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2013
- ONR Young Investigator Program Award. Office of Naval Research. 2008
- SAE Ralph Teetor Award. Society of Automotive Engineers. 2007
- NSF CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2003
- CEE 625: Intermediate Dynamics: Dynamics of Very High Dimensional Systems
- ECE 461: Ocean Engineering
- EGR 244L: Dynamics
- ENVIRON 461: Ocean Engineering
- ME 391: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 426: Ocean Engineering
- ME 461: Energy Engineering and the Environment
- ME 491: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 541: Intermediate Dynamics: Dynamics of Very High Dimensional Systems
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 742: Nonlinear Mechanical Vibration
- ME 759: Special Readings in Mechanical Engineering
- Mazzoleni, MJ; Battaglini, CL; Martin, KJ; Coffman, EM; Mann, BP, Modeling and predicting heart rate dynamics across a broad range of transient exercise intensities during cycling, Sports Engineering, vol 19 no. 2 (2016), pp. 117-127 [10.1007/s12283-015-0193-3] [abs].
- Land, S; McGuire, P; Bumb, N; Mann, BP; Yellen, BB, Electromagnetic braking revisited with a magnetic point dipole model, American journal of physics, vol 84 no. 4 (2016), pp. 257-262 [10.1119/1.4941099] [abs].
- Mazzoleni, MJ; Bernard, BP; Garraud, N; Arnold, DP; Mann, BP, Theoretical and experimental analysis of bifurcation induced passive bandgap reconfiguration, Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series, vol 1 (2016), pp. 155-162 [10.1007/978-3-319-15221-9_13] [abs].
- Little, JA; Mazzoleni, MJ; Mann, BP, Utilizing a blending function to improve nonlinear frequency response predictions for a pendulum system, Proceedings of the ASME Design Engineering Technical Conference, vol 8 (2016) [10.1115/DETC201660238] [abs].
- Gourc, E; Seguy, S; Michon, G; Berlioz, A; Mann, BP, Quenching chatter instability in turning process with a vibro-impact nonlinear energy sink, Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol 355 (2015), pp. 392-406 [10.1016/j.jsv.2015.06.025] [abs].