Jeffrey N. Vinik Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
Appointments and Affiliations
- Jeffrey N. Vinik Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
- Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Director of Graduate Studies in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5310
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Sc.D. Washington University, 2003
- M.S. Washington University, 1999
- B.S. University of Missouri at Columbia, 1996
Nonlinear dynamics and vibration utilizing analytical, numerical, and experimental techniques. Fundamental investigations of phenomenon and application areas where dynamical systems theory plays an important role.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Young Investigator Program Award. Office of Naval Research. 2008
- CEE 625: Intermediate Dynamics: Dynamics of Very High Dimensional Systems
- EGR 244L: Dynamics
- ME 391: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 541: Intermediate Dynamics: Dynamics of Very High Dimensional Systems
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 758S: Curricular Practical Training
- ME 759: Special Readings in Mechanical Engineering
- MENG 550: Master of Engineering Internship/Project
- MENG 551: Master of Engineering internship/Project Assessment
Representative Publications: (More Publications)
- Bernard, BP; Mazzoleni, MJ; Garraud, N; Arnold, DP; Mann, BP, Experimental investigation of bifurcation induced bandgap reconfiguration, Journal of Applied Physics, vol 116 no. 8 (2014), pp. 084904-084904 [10.1063/1.4894249] [abs].
- Tweten, DJ; Ballard, Z; Mann, BP, Minimizing error in the logarithmic decrement method through uncertainty propagation, Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol 333 no. 13 (2014), pp. 2804-2811 [10.1016/j.jsv.2014.02.024] [abs].
- Mann, BP, Discussion: “On the Role of Nonlinearities in Vibratory Energy Harvesting: A Critical Review and Discussion” (Daqaq, M., Masana, R., Erturk, A., and Dane Quinn, D., 2014, ASME Appl. Mech. Rev., 66(4), p. 040801), Applied Mechanics Reviews, vol 66 no. 4 (2014), pp. 045501-045501 [10.1115/1.4027257] [abs].
- Lipp, GM; Mann, B, Dynamics of an eccentric disk on a curved surface, Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena, vol 266 (2014), pp. 34-41 [10.1016/j.physd.2013.09.007] [abs].
- Tweten, DJ; Mann, B, Experimental investigation of colored noise in stochastic resonance of a bistable beam, Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena, vol 268 (2014), pp. 25-33 [10.1016/j.physd.2013.10.010] [abs].