Benjamin J Wiley
Associate Professor of ChemistryIn the Wiley Group, we make new nanomaterials by controlling the assembly of atoms in solution, and explore applications for nanomaterials in medicine, catalysis, plasmonics, and electronics. Our goal is to precisely control the size, shape, and composition of materials on the nanometer scale to explore how these parameters affect the fundamental properties of a material, and produce such nanomaterials economically so they can be applied to solve real-world problems.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Chemistry
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 2214 French Family Science Cen, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 668-3066
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Washington, 2007
- B.S. University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, 2003
Research InterestsIn the Wiley Group, we make new nanomaterials by controlling the assembly of atoms in solution, and explore applications for nanomaterials in medicine, catalysis, plasmonics, and electronics. Our goal is to precisely control the size, shape, and composition of materials on the nanometer scale to explore how these parameters affect the fundamental properties of a material, and produce such nanomaterials economically so they can be applied to solve real-world problems.
Nanoscience and Materials
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Colloid and Surface Science Division Poster Award. ACS. 2009
- Graduate Student Gold Award. MRS. 2009
- Iron Range Scholarship. University of Minnesota. 2009
- NSF- IGERT Graduate Fellowship. Unknown. 2009
- NSF-IGERT Early Bird Award in Nanotechnology. University of Washington. 2009
- Roon Award. Federation of Socities for Coatings Technology. 2009
- Runstad Fellowship. University of Washington. 2009
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award for Individual Postdoctoral Fellows. NIH. 2008
In the News
- 3-D Printers Open New Design Space for Wireless Devices (May 4, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- Energy Initiative Awards Seven New Seed Grants (Apr 28, 2017)
- 3-D-Printable Implants May Ease Damaged Knees (Apr 19, 2017)
- 'Spray-On' Memory Could Enable Bendable Digital Storage (Apr 3, 2017)
- Nanowire Inks Enable Paper-Based Printable Electronics (Jan 3, 2017)
- Copper Nanowires Now Match Performance of Leading Competitor (Mar 26, 2014 | Duke Research Blog )
- 1100 Words: Seeds of a Solar Cell (Mar 18, 2014)
- Copper Promises Cheaper, Sturdier Fuel Cells (Nov 22, 2013)
- Catenacci, MJ; Flowers, PF; Cao, C; Andrews, JB; Franklin, AD; Wiley, BJ, Fully Printed Memristors from Cu–SiO2 Core–Shell Nanowire Composites, Journal of Electronic Materials, vol 46 no. 7 (2017), pp. 4596-4603 [10.1007/s11664-017-5445-5] [abs].
- Yang, F; Tadepalli, V; Wiley, BJ, 3D Printing of a Double Network Hydrogel with a Compression Strength and Elastic Modulus Greater than those of Cartilage, ACS biomaterials science & engineering, vol 3 no. 5 (2017), pp. 863-869 [10.1021/acsbiomaterials.7b00094] [abs].
- Xie, Y; Ye, S; Reyes, C; Sithikong, P; Popa, B-I; Wiley, BJ; Cummer, SA, Microwave metamaterials made by fused deposition 3D printing of a highly conductive copper-based filament, Applied Physics Letters, vol 110 no. 18 (2017), pp. 181903-181903 [10.1063/1.4982718] [abs].
- Zhao, C; Solomon, J; Sturgeon, GM; Gehm, ME; Catenacci, M; Wiley, BJ; Samei, E; Lo, JY, Third generation anthropomorphic physical phantom for mammography and DBT: Incorporating voxelized 3D printing and uniform chest wall QC region, Proceedings of SPIE, vol 10132 (2017) [10.1117/12.2256091] [abs].
- Kim, MJ; Flowers, PF; Stewart, IE; Ye, S; Baek, S; Kim, JJ; Wiley, BJ, Ethylenediamine Promotes Cu Nanowire Growth by Inhibiting Oxidation of Cu(111)., Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol 139 no. 1 (2017), pp. 277-284 [10.1021/jacs.6b10653] [abs].